What's new

Drawboard PDF - Issues and Resolutions

Liam2349

I like Drawboard. Sometimes I like to read through my lecture notes and use different colours to highlight equations, important words, and other times I like to make new stuff in OneNote. I like varying my learning methods.

Drawboard is nice to use when it works, but sometimes it annoys me when there are issues. The main ones are:
1) When I ink, sometimes that ink flashes, as in it disappears and reappears.
2) On less common occasions, I've inked, gone to the next page, and my ink on the previous page was gone.
3) Sometimes PDFs don't load. Sometimes I can scroll through every page in the PDF and it's already loaded, other times it wants to take a couple of seconds to load the page. This happens when I'm using the same PDF. Sometimes opening and closing the PDF fixes it, sometimes I try to restart my Surface - it's unreliable.

Just for comparison, my i5-4670k desktop PC @4GHz with 8GB RAM can ink just fine without the flashing issue. Yeah, it's a much beefier CPU and it's overclocked, but OneNote doesn't flash ink at me.

Anyone know how to solve these issues?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
This has more to do with the Video Driver on the SP3, it is even worse on the Bay Trail GMA....

Sven

I have exactly the same problems as you have described in 1) through 3).

It is frustrating and detracts from what is otherwise a really good PDF annotation app.

I'm alternating between the built-in reader app and Drawboard depending on my level of irritation.

riggi

I like Drawboard for reading books in pdf format. The page turning and ability to zoom out and jump to a page is nice.

For annotating though, I find pdf annotator better. I use it primarily for reading and annotating research articles and also for showing pdf files of course books on the projector and annotating in the classroom.
I haven't had any problem with inking disappearing.
My annotations consist of a mixture of different color pens, highlighters and typed text. The favourites toolbar in the full screen mode of pdf annotator makes it easy to switch between annotation tools.
It's more expensive than Drawboard, but I use it almost every day, so it's worth it for me.

yonghong

I like Drawboard for reading books in pdf format. The page turning and ability to zoom out and jump to a page is nice.

For annotating though, I find pdf annotator better. I use it primarily for reading and annotating research articles and also for showing pdf files of course books on the projector and annotating in the classroom.
I haven't had any problem with inking disappearing.
My annotations consist of a mixture of different color pens, highlighters and typed text. The favourites toolbar in the full screen mode of pdf annotator makes it easy to switch between annotation tools.
It's more expensive than Drawboard, but I use it almost every day, so it's worth it for me.
Lol,draw board is already expensive,more ,can't afford .

OP
L

Liam2349

I've noticed that in some pdfs, they initially load fine. When I annotate them and turn to the next page, the next page takes a couple of seconds to load. The page will load blurred out and then flash and focus. It's a bit distracting.

The fix for this issue is to save the document. If you save it, then the next page will load instantly. I don't know why this happens. Does anyone have a better resolution?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I've noticed that in some pdfs, they initially load fine. When I annotate them and turn to the next page, the next page takes a couple of seconds to load. The page will load blurred out and then flash and focus. It's a bit distracting.

The fix for this issue is to save the document. If you save it, then the next page will load instantly. I don't know why this happens. Does anyone have a better resolution?
Have you enabled "Flatting" in the Settings Menu?