What's new

Drawing on the Surface Book

vxm

Drawing on such device is less than ideal for me- it works okey on lap with one hand supporting display, but it's rather uncomfotable on desk. I was using Thinkpad Yoga before I bought Surface, and I had to use stand (repurposed laptop cooling pad :) ) to elevate upper part of pc to draw comfortably. It's doable and I'm sure it's something you can get used to, but Surface Pro is more convenient for drawing in my opinion.

nnthemperor

I'm not disputing the use cases you describe. My point is that there's more than one use case and to dismiss the action the reviewer showed, reaching across the keyboard to draw on the screen with the SurfaceBook in Laptop-mode, because it doesn't fit your personal experience is premature.
I vary the position of my cintiqs/convertibles/tablets and the position of my keyboard/numpad often, and that sometimes includes using the devices in a similar way as the reviewer in the video from the starter post did.
So while his action might make your eyes roll, i actually get useful information out of it.
I don't think anyone questions how you use your device, but common sense tells us that inking in the position the reviewer did it is totally untenable. Again, the reviewer clearly didn't do that to show the wobbling of the screen, just to quickly demo inking. I figure that to use it in an almost vertical position for drawing as you pointed out, folding it backwards and propping it up on your custom easel would be the most logical thing to do. Which of course wouldn't take more than a few seconds to setup. I strongly believe that no half serious inking or drawing can be done on ANY device whatsoever in the position demoed. And that goes for your cintique companion too

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not disputing the use cases you describe. My point is that there's more than one use case and to dismiss the action the reviewer showed, reaching across the keyboard to draw on the screen with the SurfaceBook in Laptop-mode, because it doesn't fit your personal experience is premature.
I vary the position of my cintiqs/convertibles/tablets and the position of my keyboard/numpad often, and that sometimes includes using the devices in a similar way as the reviewer in the video from the starter post did.
So while his action might make your eyes roll, i actually get useful information out of it.
Excellent... that is great and I'm glad that specific review resonates with how you want to use it.

ecaggiani

I either detach the screen or flip it around when I draw on the Surface Book. Rarely do I draw on the screen with the keyboard in the way. Here's a drawing I made using Sketchable from the Microsoft store.
FB_IMG_1454406721854.jpg

mcsenerd

And guess what? I still draw on the thing with the screen attached... Now, these are typically rough sketches of some piece of technology and I'm mostly just trying to get non-native English speakers to somewhat understand "big picture"-type concepts, but it still gets the job done. You know what DOESN'T get the job done? Pretty much every other laptop out there that doesn't even have the capability to use a pen...