What's new

Driver problem with my sp2?

Yesterday i had to Reset my sp2, because something broke my Mail,calendar and contacts app that even the store and the troubleshooting app for Windows app couldn't repair it. After the Reset i downloaded the Surface pro 2 driver package october 2013 from the Microsoft Website to install the Surface Cover telemtric driver. After that i installed the Firmware update over windows update. After the Reboot i had no internet connection because the marvel wireless Network Chip had no driver. So I installed the driver manually with the Device Manager, which worked.
After that i compared the driver Version of the instfalled driver (14.69.24039.134) for the marvell Chip with the driver of the driver package from Microsoft (14.69.2044.150) . So the driver from the package seems to be newer. But when i try to install the newer driver with the Device Manager, it only said that the driver Installation was completed and that the Device are ready to use. But the Device Manager didn't update the driver Version. I have the same problem with lifecam driver which also seems newer in the driver package.
Is this normal?

OP
S

Spike_Spiegel

Have you installed the newer Driver (with .150)? But it must be possible to install newer Drivers. I mean i couldn't Reset My sp2 every time when there will be newer Drivers.

Last edited:

D1vad

curious after installing the newer drivers have you rebooted your device twice for the newer drivers to actually take effect?

OP
S

Spike_Spiegel

Yes i tried it, but it doesn't work.
But when i Reset My pro and before installing the Firmware update over windows update i am able to install the newer Driver. And why are the newer drivers Not available through windows update? That is curious.

D1vad

Yesterday i had to Reset my sp2, because something broke my Mail,calendar and contacts app that even the store and the troubleshooting app for Windows app couldn't repair it. After the Reset i downloaded the Surface pro 2 driver package october 2013 from the Microsoft Website to install the Surface Cover telemtric driver. After that i installed the Firmware update over windows update. After the Reboot i had no internet connection because the marvel wireless Network Chip had no driver. So I installed the driver manually with the Device Manager, which worked.
After that i compared the driver Version of the instfalled driver (14.69.24039.134) for the marvell Chip with the driver of the driver package from Microsoft (14.69.2044.150) . So the driver from the package seems to be newer. But when i try to install the newer driver with the Device Manager, it only said that the driver Installation was completed and that the Device are ready to use. But the Device Manager didn't update the driver Version. I have the same problem with lifecam driver which also seems newer in the driver package.
Is this normal?

Looking at my driver I see my surface pro 2 {about a week old now} is running the 14.16.2044.150 driver. i have simply installed all updates as offered.

OP
S

Spike_Spiegel

That is curious. My sp2 with 256gb is also 1 week old and Windows update didn't show updates for wifi and camera. It only shows the Firmware update.

OP
S

Spike_Spiegel

Trust me, the steps below will fix all your driver issues. I had the same problem where it wouldn't let me update to the new driver.

Systems Admin Guy | How to update Surface Pro 2 Recovery Image drivers
I will try it. But why the hell windows update don't show the updates?! And with the method above there is no guarantee, that this will fix an install problem with even newer Drivers in the future. I mean, I don't want to reset my sp2 every time there will be new drivers.

OP
S

Spike_Spiegel

Trust me, the steps below will fix all your driver issues. I had the same problem where it wouldn't let me update to the new driver.

Systems Admin Guy | How to update Surface Pro 2 Recovery Image drivers
I will try it. But why the hell windows update don't show the updates?! And with the method above there is no guarantee, that this will fix an install problem with even newer Drivers in the future. I mean, I don't want to reset my sp2 every time there will be new drivers.