What's new

Dropbox App Weirdness

revbilly

Has anyone else noticed that when you open a MS Word 2010 document from the Metro App it only opens in 'Read Only' mode while opening the same doc using the desktop app opens the Word doc normally. I haven't been able to figure out why nor have I been able to find any information on the issue. Is it a setting? A glitch? Or what? Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from Boards for Windows on Windows 8

riggi

I have a similar issue.
When I open words docs, they often open in read only mode. If I close it and re-open it, it's editable.
Both times I am double clicking on the file in Windows Explorer.
I'm using Office 2013.
So, I think it's a win8/office issue rather than a drop box issue.

First open can be hit or miss, 2nd attempt is OK...

guitar1969

I hate the Dropbox app - Does not work well at all for opening up files or downloading (seems to hang alot) I use the app All My Storage Pro to manage all my cloud storage, including dropbox. It's a couple bucks, but much easier to use. The other day I couldn't even sign into the dropbox app - kept getting the "Oops" message - So I just used AMSP with no problem.

ArnoldC

It is not a bug. Opening an Office document from a link opens it up in read only mode for protection, I.e., macros or scripts potentially running, from unverified sources, I.e., not your hard disk. This includes email.

mmoss2

If you go to File --> Options --> Trust Center --> Trust Center Settings you can disable Protected View if you really want to. Your documents will open normally, but that would leave you open to unintended pilfering and badness.