What's new

Dropbox Cuts Battery Life - ?

tonyz3

that sounds real extreme... wow if it is true.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

OP
Russ

Russ

that sounds real extreme

Tony --

Yeah, that was my reaction, too, that's why I posted it kinda cautiously. My initial reaction was, actually still is, one of disbelief. Hard to imagine that even a busy app could cut 9 hours off the battery life.

I see the Little Guy has his cap on sideways again. Has he been in some kinda trouble? :)

Take care,
Russ

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The new Haswell CPUs support S0iX Connected Standby, if the Dropbox Client is preventing the machine to enter Connected Standby it would have negative impact on the battery...

kristalsoldier

The new Haswell CPUs support S0iX Connected Standby, if the Dropbox Client is preventing the machine to enter Connected Standby it would have negative impact on the battery...

But that much of a negative impact? It's quite a lot, don't you think? It's almost like a stress-test!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The reason Haswell is able to get the battery life it claims is due to Connected Standby, it is quickly able to enter into a low power state when idle, many sync tools kick in at that same time, so that would prevent the battery savings. I'm assuming this test was done using the Desktop Client rather than a Modern Style Client (like the on in the Store that uses WinRT). Sounds like Dropbox needs to update their client for the S0iX Power State.

Telstar1948

Saw a post on one of the other forums where a guy said he has the new MBA Haswell 13" and he's getting on average of 5+ hours on his—don't know if that has anything to do with DropBox since he didn't mention that.