What's new

Solved Dropped and killed my SP3

Alex_SP3

It turns on but cannot use screen. Glass is cracked in corner and goes diagonally up to other side. It seems that the original warranty does not cover this. I bought it in April of 2015.

When I get a new Surface, can I transfer Office 365 to the new one as well as One Drive and any purchased Apps?

Do I have to notify Microsoft about anything, like breaking the old one and wanting to replace it with the new one?

Thanks in advance!

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
So sorry to hear about the mishap.

Do you have Microsoft Complete?

On your new machine, register and login with your Microsoft account. Then go to Office.com , account, and remove the previous machine. Install on the current machine. Login with OneDrive, and that will take care of itself. All of your apps can be installed on the new machine from the Microsoft App Store.

OP
Alex_SP3

Alex_SP3

Thanks for the info!

I looked up my Microsoft account and I DO have Microsoft Complete!!!

Thanks for reminding me!

Last edited:

leeshor

You're correct. You can't get Complete after the damage is done. In order to get it your Surface would need to be inspected by Microsoft.

OP
Alex_SP3

Alex_SP3

You're correct. You can't get Complete after the damage is done. In order to get it your Surface would need to be inspected by Microsoft.
I looked up my Microsoft account and it turns out that I DO have Microsoft Complete!

I guess that I can call them for information about sending it to them. It is listed on my account, so I am guessing that it should be a simple process to get it repaired or replaced.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Go here, @Alex_SP3 to verify your warranty, per serial number.
Microsoft Surface warranty status | Surface accessory warranty status

And, yes, it is a simple process to replace - if your Complete is indeed verified.

For others reading this thread, you have 45 days from the date of purchase to obtain Microsoft Complete. If Complete is purchased within the 45 days, Microsoft will inspect your unit and verify its serial number, associating it with a new warranty number.

OP
Alex_SP3

Alex_SP3

So sorry to hear about the mishap.

Do you have Microsoft Complete?

On your new machine, register and login with your Microsoft account. Then go to Office.com , account, and remove the previous machine. Install on the current machine. Login with OneDrive, and that will take care of itself. All of your apps can be installed on the new machine from the Microsoft App Store.
So if I go to my account I just have to deactivate the install on the broken SP3 and it will allow me to activate an install on the new SP3?

OP
Alex_SP3

Alex_SP3

No need to deactivate. Just login the new machine with your account credentials.
OK. Thanks. Seeing that you can have only one tablet activated, I guess it will get rid of the old one automatically.

Sending the broken one today.

I will probably have more questions when I get the new one.

Because I cannot get into the old one I will be losing some stuff, like Outlook Calendar and downloaded files. Everything else of importance is on OneDrive and SD card.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
OK. Thanks. Seeing that you can have only one tablet activated, I guess it will get rid of the old one automatically.

Sending the broken one today.

I will probably have more questions when I get the new one.

Because I cannot get into the old one I will be losing some stuff, like Outlook Calendar and downloaded files. Everything else of importance is on OneDrive and SD card.
Backups have never been more important than with these sealed devices.

Grumpy2

I am sorry to hear you dropped your SP3 and cracked the screen. What a bummer. Hope the Microsoft Complete comes thru. I remember dropping my Samsung Galaxy S3 a few weeks after buying it and breaking the screen. With no insurance of any description it cost me $250 to have it repaired. So I feel for you. Good luck and I hope Microsoft come to the party.