What's new

Dual 4K Monitors using Docking Station

ptrkhh

WAIT A MINUTE - I though this unit could only support ONE 4K monitor?
Yes, at 60 Hz.

However, OP managed to squeeze out the last bit of power of the GPU by setting it to 50 Hz. Since 50 Hz is not a really common standard, which may or may not supported by your monitor, and the fact that the setting is not even available without setting custom timing as OP mentioned, MS (Intel?) decided not to advertise it and stick with what its able to output at the widely-known standardized 60 Hz.

Moreover, OP also need to use the docking station to be able to have two separate DP ports.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, at 60 Hz.

However, OP managed to squeeze out the last bit of power of the GPU by setting it to 50 Hz. Since 50 Hz is not a really common standard, which may or may not supported by your monitor, and the fact that the setting is not even available without setting custom timing as OP mentioned, MS (Intel?) decided not to advertise it and stick with what its able to output at the widely-known standardized 60 Hz.

Moreover, OP also need to use the docking station to be able to have two separate DP ports.
I believe the specs on the i5/i7 U series is only 4k @ 30hz but as you say they may have not reported 50hz because it's little used... IDK. seems odd they would understate that much although I cant say I have heard of people using 30hz much, that's like the old interlaced mode. :) Then again these panels behave differently than the old CRT Phosphor which would flicker horribly.

Or maybe my old eyes just don't see it any more or my brain has adapted permanent flicker rejection. :D