What's new

Dual boot with a Micro SD card and Yosemite

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why shouldn't the OP want to try and put another OS on his Surface..? Is OSX someone more evil and soul sucking than say Ubuntu..? /rhetorical

The install would suck the big one, functionality would be spotty, many of the surface features would flat out not work and yet I've done it before, several years ago, on an old netbook just for shits and giggles and the intellectual challenge.

From the OP's post, there's no "article" being written it's a fellow SP3 owner wanting to try something, if you don't like the idea of him spoiling the purity of his SP3 then avoid the thread.
The OP is free to *spend* time anyway he wishes. My point is valid because it happens. It needs to be seen as such and not everyone would recognize that. The primrose path lies ahead, carry on. it's kinda like going to the South Pole or climbing Everest, once you get there the only thing you can do is hope you get out alive.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I'll be the party pooper.....Installing OSX on anything but Apple's hardware is in violation of their EULA and you have to by-pass UEFI Controls using pirated or otherwise absconded keys to "fool" OSX to install on unsupported hardware. Technically within the US and EU this is illegal....

Some say if you purchase a full retail copy you are technically not pirating but Apple disagrees to the binding contract called the EULA found here:

http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/macosx107.pdf

mwilson

Surface 3 and Yosemite are both great on their own separate selves. I also wonder what the battery life will be on the SP3 as Hackintosh. Since you say keyboard and mouse will suffice, why not just get a Macbook Air to complement your SP3? This way you'll retain what's so awesome about each of them.

OP
M

Matthew Reimer

I see this as one of those typically bad tech articles that always show up on sites ... How to put OSX on your Surface Pro or some such. It will be a total hack job, functionality will be horrible, you will have to use separate USB keyboard, mouse, network adapter, and disk, on a powered USB hub. the pen wont work. The screen resolution will be 800x600 only using a hackin driver. Only one button on the mouse will work. So in the end the only thing your really using is the CPU, Ram, and screen in reduced functionality and nothing else but it will be written as if everything worked perfectly, as typical of these horror shows. Not to mention doing so is a violation of the OSX license. Why do it? Because it's there or to give the illusion to headline readers that its a real solution and OSX is all that.
Actually I have had a lot of success running hackintosh on other computers at much higher resolution then 800X600, going deeper I wouldn't expect the pen or touch screen to work. Running mac on it would not be a hack job being that 95% of the hardware is compatible with the surface. I mean I am running a hackintosh on my AMD desktop for fun. Why do it? To have a conversation piece as well as have the ability to explore a new OS that I need to educate myself with. (Running snow leopard on desktop)

wertzius

I'll be the party pooper.....Installing OSX on anything but Apple's hardware is in violation of their EULA and you have to by-pass UEFI Controls using pirated or otherwise absconded keys to "fool" OSX to install on unsupported hardware. Technically within the US and EU this is illegal....

Some say if you purchase a full retail copy you are technically not pirating but Apple disagrees to the binding contract called the EULA found here:

http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/macosx107.pdf

Correct, but in some european countries, for example in Germany, the EULA is void, because you only can read the EULA after buying.

Dblkk

I have on my msi workstation laptop, it has 3x 512gb msata ssd, and 1tb evo ssd. I have windows 7 on 1 msata, windows 8.1/10 (dual boot split partition) on 1 msata, and yosemite on my 3rd msata. Yosemite is less than perfect with drivers but runs overall pleasantly, 1080p screen, keyboard, mouse and everything works great. My quaddro K5100m is unrecognized but I use windows 7 for all my heavy lifting anyways.

I tried installing mavericks as a vm inside my windows 7, that didn't go well at all. So that's why its on its own drive now. I'm pretty sure the format of drive had to deal with some/most of the issues.

I can say that no, battery life isn't noticeably better. about 4 hours on windows, about 4 hours on Yosemite.

I have no 'real' use/need for Yosemite, but I did it because I could, and possibly bragging rights idk.

OP
M

Matthew Reimer

From an external USB drive/card reader yes, not from the internal card reader. But i will try this today afternoon for you.

Edit: Sry, i was wrong! It works, but the card has to be Fat32 formattet. I don't know if OSX is able to boot from a FAT 32 formattet disc.

You can call up the bootloader by holding Power and volume down at startup and releasing the volume button at the Surface logo.

Thank you for confirming what I thought would work. Now have to find a boot loader that will support it.

unruledboy

some people will buy MacBook Pro to bootcamp windows, it's rare for people to buy windows machine to do the other way around..

OP
M

Matthew Reimer

Apple doesn't want you to run it on anything but their devices so they can control and corner the market. I for one will not be dropping 1k+ to run their OS. I will however take the time and run it on my own computers if I feel like it.