What's new

Dual Boot

Danja91

I installed Ubuntu 13.04 on the Surface Pro and now I can't boot into it. Could anyone help me figure out why? Here are the steps I took:

1: Disabled Secureboot in the BIOS

2: Shrank the system partition on the SSD by 10 GB.

3: Burned a bootable 64 bit Ubuntu 13.04 ISO onto a flash drive

4: Rebooted into the flash drive, went through the initial Ubuntu configuration options.

5: In the 10 GB empty space, added a 600 MB logical partition as swap.

6: In the remaining 9.4 GB of empty space, added a primary ext4 partition mounted as /

7: Installed the MBR to the SSD (dev/sda).

8: Finished the installation

Ubuntu finished installing and told me to reboot. I did so and it booted straight into Windows without offering any other boot options. What did I do wrong?

mlknez

Just so you know, Ubuntu runs really well under hyper-v on the SP. So does Mac OSX, Windows 7, DOS, Windows XP, et. al., without having to dedicate a partition.

OP
D

Danja91

I ended up installing Ubuntu on a 10 gig partition on the SSD. So far it works OK except for hibernation (in Windows 8). When I'm booted into Windows 8 and sleep the Surface, everything works fine. But when I sleep it overnight and it goes into hibernation, it wakes up to the Linux booloader and when I boot into Windows everything is gone. Is this something that could be fixed by restoring the Windows bootloader? If so, how would I go about doing that without restoring the whole computer back to factory settings? I have the recovery partition burned to USB if that helps.

Also, I tried Hyper-V and it ran terribly slow for me. I don't know how you define "really well", but I was experiencing ~ 1 second lag between a click and response.

Inadorel

Linux? On the Surface tablet which is carefully designed for Windows 8 and works beautifully with it? Why would you want to do that?

OP
D

Danja91

Linux? On the Surface tablet which is carefully designed for Windows 8 and works beautifully with it? Why would you want to do that?

Because I bought the computer to be my productivity device, and much of the software in my field of research (computational molecular biology) is exclusive to or highly optimized for Linux (unfortunately).

J515OP

Super Moderator
Because I bought the computer to be my productivity device, and much of the software in my field of research (computational molecular biology) is exclusive to or highly optimized for Linux (unfortunately).

Sounds like you actually need a PS3. I think I cured Cancer on mine once just by folding at home :)

Inadorel

I suffer from the same problem. I am an IT security tester and some of the tools I use are Linux only (or you have to jump through horrid hoops to get them to work in Windows). I get round it by remoting on a Linux server we have on the network. I also find I can run a couple of VMware instances of Linux without stressing the SP too much....

OP
D

Danja91

I suffer from the same problem. I am an IT security tester and some of the tools I use are Linux only (or you have to jump through horrid hoops to get them to work in Windows). I get round it by remoting on a Linux server we have on the network. I also find I can run a couple of VMware instances of Linux without stressing the SP too much....

Inadorel, that's really interesting to me. I'd much rather run VMware than deal with the separate installation, especially since Ubuntu 13.04 doesn't support the Marvel Wifi card and the SP doesn't have an Ethernet port... Do you virtual machines run at a usable speed? I got really terrible performance using hyper-V. Could it be because I installed it onto a class 10 SD card instead of the SSD?

vinumsv

Inadorel, that's really interesting to me. I'd much rather run VMware than deal with the separate installation, especially since Ubuntu 13.04 doesn't support the Marvel Wifi card and the SP doesn't have an Ethernet port... Do you virtual machines run at a usable speed? I got really terrible performance using hyper-V. Could it be because I installed it onto a class 10 SD card instead of the SSD?

Why don't you install the VM on a ext USB 3.0 HDD which is far more faster the SD card also Hyper-V should be faster then Type 2 hypervisors as its not sharing resources with OS.