What's new

Dual External Monitors on Surface Pro?

rghataode

I thought this was possible? How do you get 2 monitors connected to 1 mini displayport? Please help. Any adapters, or other suggestions?

ArnoldC

Physically not possible. External must be HDMI capable.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Board Express

magicrobots

My coworker has a large monitor running through a USB adapter - it totally works. But it's a slow connection so redraws are low performance; good only for web browsing or email or something.

OP
R

rghataode

Just a quick update, I successfully setup dual external monitors by doing 1 monitor with the Mini Display Port, and 1 monitor with USB3.0 adapter.

The monitor on the USB3.0 is the same resolution, but you can tell it is a little slow at times.

With Mini Displayport, there is a way to daisy chain monitors that have displayport or mini displayport, but haven't found the exact info yet on that. That would eliminate the need to run the 2nd monitor with USB3.0. Can anyone chime in?

Just a quick update, I successfully setup dual external monitors by doing 1 monitor with the Mini Display Port, and 1 monitor with USB3.0 adapter.

The monitor on the USB3.0 is the same resolution, but you can tell it is a little slow at times.

With Mini Displayport, there is a way to daisy chain monitors that have displayport or mini displayport, but haven't found the exact info yet on that. That would eliminate the need to run the 2nd monitor with USB3.0. Can anyone chime in?

Is that a total of THREE screens or TWO screens? I.e. is the Surface Pro tablet screen replicated on one of the monitors?

That is a total of 3 screens, 1 being the Surface Pro's. So 2 external DELL Monitors with Displayport, and the Surface Pro's monitor.

I should have made my question more clear. You have the surface pro screen, and two extended displays. So you can have three different documents (one on each screen) loaded at the same time?

OP
R

rghataode

Yes. You can have 3 seperate documents on each. 3 SEPERATE displays.

20130210_154704.jpg

ArnoldC

What other options are available that any of you would recommend? Is USB 3.0 --> *magic/hub* --> monitor a realistic solution?

There are HDMI splitters, but that won't of much use. You can try the USB solution for PowerPoint it maybe good enough, so long as not graphics intensive.

kkuhia

Has anyone gotten two external HDMI monitors (not including the Surface display) to work just from the mini Display Port? I'm trying to get my Surface Pro to work with two 28" HDMI monitors. I bought the Cirago NuView X2 Mini Display Port to 2 HDMI Multimonitor Adapter from Fry's Electronics, but that didn't seem to work. It only shows compatible with Mac OS X, Windows 7, Vista, and XP so maybe it won't work with Windows 8. Does anyone know if there is an adapter that will work with the Intel HD 4000 graphics and Windows 8 to go from Mini Display Port to 2 HDMI monitors?