What's new

Dual External Monitors on Surface Pro?

thinkoutside

I'm currently running 2 monitors externally

desklayout -resized.jpg

This is a picture of my current desk setup;
2 debezelled Dell 19" Running off hdmi-> dvi cables on a Zotac mDP -> Dual HDMI adapter, desktop extended off the Surface Integral Monitor
10" Netbook with control extended through MS Garage Mouse without borders application.
The adapter presents to windows as 1 display at 2560x1024 resolution , which took a little getting used to (can't fullscreen video for instance, but window key + direction fills the panel nicely), but it suits my purposes ok
Even using a logitech bluetooth keyboard and MS bluetooth notebook mouse, speakers, mDP and power is pretty much filling every available plug, dock would be handy, but currently no more hassle than manually plugging the netbook was.

durgenheim

Woot! :\ I need help

View attachment 1113

This is a picture of my current desk setup;
2 debezelled Dell 19" Running off hdmi-> dvi cables on a Zotac mDP -> Dual HDMI adapter, desktop extended off the Surface Integral Monitor
10" Netbook with control extended through MS Garage Mouse without borders application.
The adapter presents to windows as 1 display at 2560x1024 resolution , which took a little getting used to (can't fullscreen video for instance, but window key + direction fills the panel nicely), but it suits my purposes ok
Even using a logitech bluetooth keyboard and MS bluetooth notebook mouse, speakers, mDP and power is pretty much filling every available plug, dock would be handy, but currently no more hassle than manually plugging the netbook was.

I have sort of the same setup

2 Lg 19" Displays @ 1440x900 = 2880x900 > dvi to hdmi cables > Zotac Dual Hdmi minidp adapter > Mini Dp cable > Surface pro
2 Dell 24" Displays @ 1920x1080 = 3840x1080 > dvi to hdmi cables > Zotac Dual Hdmi minidp adapter > Mini Dp cable > Surface pro
running 9.18.10.3165 Drivers

It appears on the surface pro 'Dual External Screens Via its single minidp connection does not work'; Does not work on any resolution.
- The second display is detected and is view-able as a detected display under the Intel graphics control panel and the windows screen resolution window.

The two external screens stay blank unless 1 screen from the adapter is unplugged> compromising the intention of the setup.

I just tested a Windows 8 'Lenovo Helix Thinkpad' Tabletly ultrabook (Intel HD4000) with the same setup and The two Displays were detected and worked instantly @ their appropriate resolutions. 2880 & 3840.
the helix is running version 9.17.10.2849 intel hd drivers. The Drivers seem to be different though, the control panel a different colour and is called 'Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel' not 'Intel HD Graphics Control Center'

Does Anyone out there know how to get this going ? is this just a driver issue ??? What version should i have
has anyone been able to run an external monitor at a resolution like 2880x900 or 3840x1080 ??
plz dont suggest daisy chaining or usb display adapters as i may explode & throw my surface into the ocean.

freetail

I don't see where though. Only have one display port and the existing one attaches into the surface dock. Do we still need a DP Switch?

demandarin

I have sort of the same setup

2 Lg 19" Displays @ 1440x900 = 2880x900 > dvi to hdmi cables > Zotac Dual Hdmi minidp adapter > Mini Dp cable > Surface pro
2 Dell 24" Displays @ 1920x1080 = 3840x1080 > dvi to hdmi cables > Zotac Dual Hdmi minidp adapter > Mini Dp cable > Surface pro
running 9.18.10.3165 Drivers

It appears on the surface pro 'Dual External Screens Via its single minidp connection does not work'; Does not work on any resolution.
- The second display is detected and is view-able as a detected display under the Intel graphics control panel and the windows screen resolution window.

The two external screens stay blank unless 1 screen from the adapter is unplugged> compromising the intention of the setup.

I just tested a Windows 8 'Lenovo Helix Thinkpad' Tabletly ultrabook (Intel HD4000) with the same setup and The two Displays were detected and worked instantly @ their appropriate resolutions. 2880 & 3840.
the helix is running version 9.17.10.2849 intel hd drivers. The Drivers seem to be different though, the control panel a different colour and is called 'Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel' not 'Intel HD Graphics Control Center'

Does Anyone out there know how to get this going ? is this just a driver issue ??? What version should i have
has anyone been able to run an external monitor at a resolution like 2880x900 or 3840x1080 ??
plz dont suggest daisy chaining or usb display adapters as i may explode & throw my surface into the ocean.

why don't you just install the same intel generic driver version or newer on your pro to see if it works? if the Lenovo running same hd 4000 then it should theorectically work on the pro also with same or newer driver version.

noname

Dual HDMI (non daisy chained or display port monitors) work fine with the Accell Mini DisplayPort 1.2 Multi-Display Adapter while still using the surface Pro 2 monitor. In fact I can put an unlimited amount of displays on it. My Surface Pro 2 may explode because of the graphics card overheating but anything is possible. Think creatively...right out of the box.