What's new

Dual monitor from my MS book 2 and Pro 4

Peter Agnarsson

I have a question which is frustrating me a bit after countless hours of going over setting and the hardware part.

My Microsoft Surface Book 2 has a USB-C port, witch is where I connect my USB-C to displayport or AKA Thunderbolt Cable. Then I connect the other end of the thunderbolt cable directly into the displayport (Thunderbolt port) which is located on the side of my Microsoft Surface Pro 4.

I am assuming that this is the correct setup to run dual screen between my tow devices?

But there is just nothing working, I cant get the tow screens to work together... What are iam doing wrong? I have attached 2 pictures so you can se the setup as it is.

Hope someone can help :)
20180224_071241414_iOS.jpg
20180224_071251586_iOS.jpg

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
What you are trying to do is not possible. You cannot use the surface pro as a second monitor like this.

OP
P

Peter Agnarsson

Yes that is what Iam trying to achieve. When working on my Surface book 2, I want to be able to open documents and presentations and move them over on the Surface pro 4 tablet screen and still work on full screen with something else on my surface book

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you mean the setup with the cable, because it is not possible to use the surface pro as a standalone monitor.

If it is with regard to mouse without borders, then when you first launch and you get the "setup" popup, just click skip at the top left and it'll show you the key. I've just tried it between my surfaces and it works fine, even if it is laggy (bit of a given though)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It would only work on a device that has the ability with "Video In" - known of the Surface Mobile Devices support it. Your options are
  • Connect (A Miracast Enabled Monitor App built into Windows 10) - this is the best option but performance my vary
    upload_2018-2-24_7-3-9.png
  • Mouse without Borders as listed above - the code is in the Settings of the App in the Task Tray (by the clock)
mouse-without-borders-in-windows-10-3.png

• Team Viewer (will need a server on the SP4 and client on the SB2)
teamviewer-screenshot-01.png

wynand32

Another option is Multiplicity by Stardock. (Multiplicity | Software KVM Switch | Stardock). It's not a screen-exending program but rather a wireless KVM switch (and more). I use it with my desktop and an HP AIO, and it supports copy/paste between them so I can do everything except drag a window from one machine to another.

What I like about it is that although it's like having one machine in terms of the keyboard and mouse, they're actually two machines with double the horsepower. I can do my work on the desktop (with three monitors) and then have something not quite so work-related -- like Netflix -- running on the AIO and there's no interruption between machines. I figure there's no reason to just use the second machine as a display when I can take advantage of all of its resources.

Orlbuckeye

Yes that is what Iam trying to achieve. When working on my Surface book 2, I want to be able to open documents and presentations and move them over on the Surface pro 4 tablet screen and still work on full screen with something else on my surface book

Why don't you just save the Documents and presentations to OneDrive. Then you can share the files between devices. You could also have access to those files on Android or iOS devices if you wanted (any device). Or if you don't want to use the cloud if you router has a USB port you can share a external hardrive and any device on your wireless network could use it.