What's new

Dual Monitor support thru Docking Station using a Display port hub

blakeseven

I've been struggling with dual monitors on my the Surface Pro 2. I am using two 24" ASUS Monitors that support Display port 1.1. I have both the EVGA hub and the Club 3 hub and the Microsoft Docking Station.. I was only able to get the club 3 to work. What I have found thru the help of Microsoft is that the surface will drive the Club 3 if and only if you have never connected the dock to your surface. Once the Dock is connected. The surface will install new firmware in the background to support the dock. This firmware breaks dual monitor support thru the Club 3. The only was to get it working again, is to reset the surface and plug the club 3 directly into the surface mini port.

I am told from 2 tech reps at Microsoft that this is the first they have heard about this and it will take a new firmware patch to correct this issue. They have moved my ticket up stream.

Has anyone else had this issue ?

godashram

I may be reading too far into this, but if the firmware was updated when plugging in the dock, wouldn't it still be the same after am OS refresh/reinstall? Seems as if the driver is the issue then. Plugging in the dosk updates the driver, breaking dual monitor out via a displayport hub. With that said, wouldn't you be able to go back to a previous version using the "rollback driver" feature in the device manager? Don't have a dock or displayport hub, but seems plausible.

OP
B

blakeseven

I may be reading too far into this, but if the firmware was updated when plugging in the dock, wouldn't it still be the same after am OS refresh/reinstall? Seems as if the driver is the issue then. Plugging in the dosk updates the driver, breaking dual monitor out via a displayport hub. With that said, wouldn't you be able to go back to a previous version using the "rollback driver" feature in the device manager? Don't have a dock or displayport hub, but seems plausible.

I asked Microsoft exactly that. This is firmware so it isn't driver based. Once the dock is detected, the firmware on the surface (read bios update). I need to reset back to factory settings to get this functionality. I am hopeful they will address in the next firmware release.

I think what godashram is saying is that 'resetting to factory settings' won't revert the bios

Therefore; if the process brings back the function, the issue is not due to the bios

Always a pain when standards compliant devices won't work together reliably