What's new

Dual TV Monitors

Cm81

Is there a way to hook up 2 TV Monitors to the surface pro 3? Right now i have one hooked up by mini display port to hdmi. How can I add a second TV besides getting a docking station. I only want to use it for things like work documents and Internet. Can the second monitor be hooked up by USB or will it be slow? My USB is being used by my mouse. Can I have one TV hooked up by mini display port and the other hooked up wirelessly?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You have really 2 choices, get monitors that support Display Port 1.2 and daisy chain them or use a USB 3.0 to VGA/DVI device as wireless is considered HDMI and the HDMI standard only allows for one HCDP Connection.

OP
C

Cm81

Am I able to have one tv hooked up display port to hdmi and the other tv hooked up usb to hdmi? Is it easier just to get the docking station cause I will have two display ports that I can hook up 2 tv's?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Am I able to have one tv hooked up display port to hdmi and the other tv hooked up usb to hdmi? Is it easier just to get the docking station cause I will have two display ports that I can hook up 2 tv's?
Not sure how the USB to HDMI adapters handle HCDP Standards (as that is what blocks multiple HDMI Connections). I know MDP to HDMI and USB to DVI/VGA works...

OP
C

Cm81

Thanks for the help. So it seems easier to get the docking station and use the extra display port. The current single display port -> HDMI adapter -> to tv is working, so having another display port and setting the second tv up the same way seems much easier.

ptrkhh

There are plenty of solutions actually.

1. Miracast (cost: Miracast receiver $50-100)
+ Wireless!
- Only 20-30fps for 1080p (if you need to watch videos, that's fine. if you want it for productivity, dont)
- Not as stable as wired connection

2. DisplayPort splitter (cost:$50-100)
+ No degradation in performance and quality

3. USB display adapter (cost:$100-150)
+ Also acts as a USB hub
- Taxes the CPU

4. Monitor with DisplayPort daisy-chain (cost: $200+)
+ No degradation in performance and quality

5. Ultrawide monitor, like 2 monitors in one (cost: $200+)
+ Only one cable to plug
+ No bezel gaps compared to multiple non-ultrawide monitors
+ One less monitor to manage, one taskbar, one canvas, etc
- Still, its only one monitor

6. Get the docking station (cost: $150-200)
+ Fully compatible with the SP3, it even charges the SP3
- Only compatible with the SP3

I would go with either option 1 or 2 depending on the usage.