What's new

Duplicate/ghost touch press

nuttyone

Hi
So I am quite enjoying my SP4 (had since release) and together with Win10 offers a really good portable device. Anyway, recently I noticed that when using the touch screen (with my fingers) sometimes there is a ghost 'touch' at the top of the screen. It doesn't happen on every press, and doesn't happen with the pen.

Quite a weird question I know, but can be very annoying as I tend to use fingers to scroll webpages and when I do this it moves the window or restores it as it thinks i'm pressing the window bar at the top. Anyone also have this issue?

Thanks
Marc

Yillbs

Hey Nuttyone! I know this sounds silly, and likely down right stupid, but can you ensure that your palm isn't resting on the edge of the device, and the tip of your thumb touching the screen up top, this happens quite frequently if you are not paying attention.

If you can confirm it's 100% not, then try this.

Go into Device Manager, and locate the display driver, right click, uninstall, then restart ( the driver will re-install ). That -should- fix it. If it does not, or you need more specifics, let me know! If that does not fix it, calling MS will do you little good, make sure you're device is fully up to date, and if all of that is the case, then you'll need to take a backup, then reset the device ( as this is exactly what MS will make you do ).

Good luck!

ScottyS

Hi
So I am quite enjoying my SP4 (had since release) and together with Win10 offers a really good portable device. Anyway, recently I noticed that when using the touch screen (with my fingers) sometimes there is a ghost 'touch' at the top of the screen. It doesn't happen on every press, and doesn't happen with the pen.

Quite a weird question I know, but can be very annoying as I tend to use fingers to scroll webpages and when I do this it moves the window or restores it as it thinks i'm pressing the window bar at the top. Anyone also have this issue?

Thanks
Marc
This problem intermittently plagued SP3s too. It stopped after a while so I assume an update fixed it.

I just h to reset my SP3 3 times (a long story) and a couple times on one of the setups I got some phantom touches near the top of the screen again, I assume before all the update got applied.

OP
N

nuttyone

Thanks for the replies, and yes - Yillbs, it's not my palm resting on the screen - though worth checking ;)

Given the other reported similar issues, I think its more likely driver issues than hardware. Think I'm prepared to wait for now until a future update (as they seem to be coming quite quickly) than backup and refresh.

Amar95353

Thanks for the replies, and yes - Yillbs, it's not my palm resting on the screen - though worth checking ;)

Given the other reported similar issues, I think its more likely driver issues than hardware. Think I'm prepared to wait for now until a future update (as they seem to be coming quite quickly) than backup and refresh.
I had the exact same problem got in touch with microsoft support and they tried fixing my surface because it would keep minimising all of the applications I had open. I could see the screen touching the minimise button itself and the only other way I could get around this was by deactivating the touchscreen. Anyway Microsoft support could not fix my surface pro 4 so I had to get it replaced they said it was most likely a hardware fault.

OP
N

nuttyone

hi Amar - did yours occur from as soon as you purchased the SP4 though? I never had an issue until perhaps 4 weeks ago.. which happens to tie in with the latest driver date.

Amar95353

hi Amar - did yours occur from as soon as you purchased the SP4 though? I never had an issue until perhaps 4 weeks ago.. which happens to tie in with the latest driver date.
Nope I've had my surface pro 4 since November 2015 and it started happening this month. I even tried reinstalling windows onto the surface with a surface recovery drive but as soon as it got into the setup to create an account I could all ready see the touch animation in the top right corner.

I got the surface replaced and received my replacement surface on 18th of February. It was a 1 and a half week turnaround from me sending the faulty surface and receiving another so I would get a replacement.

OP
N

nuttyone

Okay, interesting.. like I said, thanks all for responses. When I have a couple of quieter weeks I'll probably backup and refresh (any tips for a Nov 15 version of Win 10 so I don't have to go through the major update?) and if it still doesn't work, then I'll contact MS.

oouell

Je decouvvre tranquilement SurfaCE PRO 4, depuis octobre ET J'AIME BIEN!...MALGRE les petits problèmes qui se regleront sous peu je suis sure...
Dernièrement, plusieurs petits problèmes que mon vendeur ne peut resoudre....

-Mon clavier Type cover ne fonctionne plus.Je dois utiliser le clavier digital. Microsoft n'a pu m'aider.
-Hier,mon stylet ne fonctionnait plus....resolu
-hier,et depuis le debut,si je veux utiliser le Français ou l'anglais impossible d'avoir tout en francais ou tout en anglais,tel que
demande.Confusion!
Je continue, je suis positive!

Un exemple d'un de mes problemes:
Presentement, Surface devrait parler francais,voua voyez ce que ca donne, moi seule parle francais.
Merci!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Je decouvvre tranquilement SurfaCE PRO 4, depuis octobre ET J'AIME BIEN!...MALGRE les petits problèmes qui se regleront sous peu je suis sure...
Dernièrement, plusieurs petits problèmes que mon vendeur ne peut resoudre....

-Mon clavier Type cover ne fonctionne plus.Je dois utiliser le clavier digital. Microsoft n'a pu m'aider.
-Hier,mon stylet ne fonctionnait plus....resolu
-hier,et depuis le debut,si je veux utiliser le Français ou l'anglais impossible d'avoir tout en francais ou tout en anglais,tel que
demande.Confusion!
Je continue, je suis positive!

Un exemple d'un de mes problemes:
Presentement, Surface devrait parler francais,voua voyez ce que ca donne, moi seule parle francais.
Merci!

You are more likely to get help by posting in English....