What's new

DVD/Blu-ray library —> MS Surface Pro 2. What software do people here use?

Surfer

I have had my Surface Pro 2 for about a month and love it. No problems at all. I have streaming video service through Amazon, Netflix, and Xbox, but I also have a considerable library of DVD's and Blu-ray titles. My question is, what tool/set of tools do people here recommend for getting BD/DVD content from the disc to the surface. Essentially, what "ripping" software do you use/recommend to get the files into MP4 or a similar HD compatible format?

Thanks for the input / I appreciate any recommendations.

Respectfully,
Surfer

Surface 512/8GB, Type Keyboard 2

leeshor

Welcome to the forum Surfer

There are plenty of tools out there for ripping DVDs but I think, for the most part, when you are talking about BD disks they are DRM protected in such a way that you are unlikely to be usable on your Surface without finding a way to break the copy protection and we don't discuss illegal stuff on the forum. I know that isn't what you wanted to hear.

You may want to look around these threads, Pavtube Software Studio for some ideas.

OP
S

Surfer

Welcome to the forum Surfer

There are plenty of tools out there for ripping DVDs but I think, for the most part, when you are talking about BD disks they are DRM protected in such a way that you are unlikely to be usable on your Surface without finding a way to break the copy protection and we don't discuss illegal stuff on the forum. I know that isn't what you wanted to hear.

You may want to look around these threads, Pavtube Software Studio for some ideas.

leeshor,

I appreciate your input and didn't want my first post to be controversial so I deliberately did not mention breaking the cryptography schema. I should be a bit more forthcoming--I have a Masters in Digital Forensics so breaking "copy protection" isn't what I had in mind. Rather, someone who has used the surface for a time and found software they liked that achieved the goal I stated. The Blu-ray standard is open, and numerous "legitimate" Blu-ray playback utilities use it, otherwise BD would not be playable. The tenet exists that if your playing the disc and own the disc, no copy protection is being broken. I won't dig any deeper into the semantics, but the utilities, whether for archiving BD and even DVD's or just playing them are not illegal when used by the titled licensee.

So if anyone uses a utility to convert their BD, DVD, DRM, etc. to a playable (and still protected format), maybe they will encounter this post. No talk of illegality need even be mentioned as it is moot in my consideration.

All respect intended though, and seriously, no smart-alek attitude is intended in this reply. Major props to you leeshort as a well-established and well-respected member.

Surfer

Heavy Metal

Dunno if will work but DVDFab is really good I convert all my DVD and blurays to Avi h.264

Been pondering going to mp4 but I also do it in 1920x1080 bluray and 852x480 dvd

OP
S

Surfer

Heavy Metal,

THANK YOU! AVI h.264 will work as well, I simply used MP4 as more of an example file format I would like to convert my disc based collection to. I'll let you know how it works out. Also looking into an App called Aura Blu-ray Ripper, a set of apps under that name actually.

Many thanks again, I just needed a good program!

Surfer

Heavy Metal

DVDFab is what I use on my laptop i like it cause I can set a que of save movie different resolutions as well as formats and let it go and in a few hours ect it is done. I like Avi but like to have seething I can use later to make copies from the 1920x1080 Avi to any other format and or size equal or smaller 854x480 480x270 ect