What's new

DVD Converter

MickeyLittle

I'm not sure what forum this belongs in so feel free to move it if necessary but here is my question:

I'm looking for a decent DVD Converter so that I can convert our purchased DVD into a watchable format for my Surface Pro as well as for my wife's iPad Air. I used to use DVD Catalyst but it looks like they are no longer in business and I don't have it installed any longer.

Thanks,
Mickey

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

Thanks Lee. I have swapped PCs in the past couple years and haven't kept up with it. DVD Catalyst worked great and I loved the $10 price tag. These others are gonna set me back $40-$50.

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

I had tried that earlier but unless I did something wrong the free version does not rip DVDs with drm protection and since he is out of business I can't buy the $10 license to get the retail download version again.

leeshor

Well, I have it installed on one system and thought I had the most recent download but, alas, I don't.

strollin

Just quietly, try Handbrake!
Huh? The OP wants software to rip a DVD. Handbrake is a video transcoder and can't rip encrypted DVDs.

I use DVD Catalyst for most DVDs but since it's no longer actively being developed (I believe the author had legality issues) there are DVDs coming along that DVD Catalyst can't handle so, for those, I use MakeMKV which has never failed me. After ripping a DVD using MakeMKV, I use software such as Handbrake to transcode to mp4 which results in a smaller file that is more portable than an mkv file.