What's new

DVD+/-RW External Drive for Surface Pro or Surface Pro 2

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
LG Portable 8X Slim DVD+/- RW External Drive with Low Power Drain

I've been using this drive for over a year with my Surface Pro, and then Surface Pro 2.
Great performance.

Here's why I chose it:
- Watch movies from disc
- Install software
- Burn or rip audio CDs
- Burn video (DVD) or data (DVD RW) from the Surface
- Single USB connector. Separate power connection via adapter or USB not required. (Multiple reviewers rave about this. Me too.)
- Slim build
- Slender price
- DVD+R/-R: 8X DVD+R with -RW: 8X/6X DVD+R DL/-R DL: 6X DVD-RAM: 5X CD-R: 24X CD-RW: 24X

The drive is slim and sleek and black.

- - -

Though an updated item is now also available from LG with M-DISC support, I don't like that it requires two USB ports (one for power), and has sharp squared-off edges (hostile to other equipment in a computer bag).

LG_GP10NB20_8X_Slim_DVD_Surface.jpg

Last edited:
OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
redbrick,

The Buffalo MediaStation looks like a great choice, too, especially if one intends to create Blu-ray videos.

beq

Thanks for sharing all the great models. Just curious is there a portable Blu-ray reader/writer that works off a single USB port for all functions?

The Buffalo model mentioned states:

"The MediaStation BDXL Blu-ray Writer comes with two integrated USB cables that neatly wrap around and snap to the unit for mess-free mobility. You can connect one cable for power and data transfer and use the second power boost cable when additional power is required."

It supposedly uses up to 7.5W (ie. 1.5A) max, which I'm guessing is more than the SP2's single USB port can provide? Standard USB spec calls for 500mA (2.5W), although I think some computer ports can output somewhere in the vicinity of 1A (5W)?

Last edited:

beq

Thanks! I just ordered that Samsung SE-506BB (portable Blu-ray writer) and Samsung SE-218CB (portable DVD writer), which seem to be #3 and #1 in popularity at Amazon.

Note that from what I read, the previous Samsung Blu-ray model the 506AB was shipped with a USB Y-cable, but the 506BB model has an even lower power consumption (supposedly at the cost of having slower access times) and comes with a straight USB cable.

The previous Samsung DVD model was the 218BB (and I guess there was a 218AB before that), though I'm not sure what got changed.

Now, I only mentioned the previous models because I noticed from the manufacturer site that there's also a newer 506CB model for the Blu-ray, and a 218CN model for the DVD. Anyone knows about the differences??

Amazon has a 1-2 month wait for the 506CB (though it's in stock at a couple of other retailers), and no official listing for the 218CN yet (but B&H already stocks it). Should I just go straight for the latest models, or should I try the current models at Amazon first before deciding which models to buy more in the future? I hate these decisions...

beq

P.S. Samsung also has the new SE-B18AB portable DVD writer which is a slot loading drive instead of using a tray. It's still on its original model revision as you can tell by the "AB".

Only a few bucks more than the 218 tray drive on Amazon, and also uses a single USB port... tempting.

Last edited:

guymalloc

I have a Lite-on eNAU108 usb DVD burner I got a while back for a Win7 netbook. Needs 2 usb connects though. I bought a Samsung SE-218cb/rsbs usb dvd drive to use with an android tablet I have, it operates in AV mode with android, both work with my surface pro. The Samsung only needs one usb connection. Got to use a powered hub with the Lite-on. Both burn good.

beq

Out of curiosity, why did you get 2 drives?

Was just curious how much thinner/lighter the DVD model is vs BD. Looking to get multiple drives for all the family members anyway.

Like others here I was also able to run that Samsung BD off the SP2's single USB port. But interestingly the back of the box that the drive came in states that AV connectivity requires 5V 1.4A. Not sure if connecting to computer requires less than that, or if the SP2's USB port is actually one of those capable of extra high power?

guymalloc

Supposedly, usb 3.0 will deliver 900ma during data transfer use, but 1500ma for charging purposes ONLY. I think to be safe a powered hub is necessary, for a second connection. Besides, with only the single usb 3.0 on the surface, a hub is almost a necessity..........