What's new

E-Reader Apps

recon0828

I downloaded the Kobo app since my wife has an account. It seems like you can only read a book if you have a WiFi connection. I'm not sure if there is a way around this. Are there any other E-reader apps where you can read books without WiFi.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
You can read offline with freda, but it has no support of DRM-protected files or mobi. Not sure about the offline-abilities of the kindle-app.

Romp

The state of ebook readers on Windows RT is really bad in my opinion.

On Android, I can "sideload" a unprotected MOBI ebook into the NOOK app. I apparently cannot do so with the RT version.

Freda is the one I use, but it supports EPUB, HTML, etc, and not MOBI.

NOOK and Kindle will work offline, but only with the downloaded books.

I hope NOOK starts supporting sideloading soon.

Hans

The state of ebook readers on Windows RT is really bad in my opinion.

On Android, I can "sideload" a unprotected MOBI ebook into the NOOK app. I apparently cannot do so with the RT version.

Freda is the one I use, but it supports EPUB, HTML, etc, and not MOBI.

NOOK and Kindle will work offline, but only with the downloaded books.

I hope NOOK starts supporting sideloading soon.

Can't you sideload books and read them in the Kindle app (I haven't tried that, but it should work, works in every Kindle app on other platforms and hardware Kindles)? If that isn't possible, just use Calibre to convert MOBI to EPUB.

Last edited:

Russ

Hans, et al --
I have not been able to sideload any books into the Kindle app on Surface. I have a decent library on Amazon, so I can download from there and then read them offline. I have been using an iPad as a reader, and am able to load Mobi books into my Kindle app via Itunes. I hope there will be a reader app for surface that will accept Mobi, because I have a huge collection.

Also not able to sideload into Nook, although I can read a downloaded book offline. I tried the Kobo app, but can't get it to do anything except show me books I can buy or download. I downloaded a free book, but am not able to read it, because the app does not provide me access to my library. I think it needs help (or maybe I do).

Russ

gglazer

I've been using BookReader for a few weeks. I really love it. All my books are epub drm free. Haven't had any issues at all with it yet and has all the features I wanted.

Hans

Where on earth are the Kindle books? I have turned on hidden files and directories, but I can't find them anywhere.

Echrada

Unfortunately Amazon is making a complete hash of this app. I cannot even access all my personal documents that was uploaded to Kindle for easy access. When I sent them an email all I got was this

"Hello,

I'm sorry you are unable to access your personal documents in your Kindle app for Windows 8.

The Kindle personal document service is not currently supported on other free Kindle Reading Applications for PC.

As of now, Kindle personal documents can be accessed only from Kindle devices and the following Kindle apps:

Kindle for Android
Kindle for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch.

This is the reason why you are unable to see all the documents and books that you have in the cloud in personal documents.

I have let the Kindle team know that you're interested in this feature.

We're regularly working on improvements to your Kindle experience.

Please feel free to forward further comments and suggestions about Kindle to [email protected]. Each suggestion will be read and taken into consideration.

You can reach us via chat or freephone directly by clicking the Contact Us option at a time that best suit you in the right-hand column of our Kindle Support pages at ..."

Russ

Where on earth are the Kindle books?

Hans, et al --

I made a rainy-day project out of trying to find them, but it's still a mystery. I not only turned on hidden files and directories, but also unlocked all the "access denied" folders looking for them. No luck! My hope, of course, was that if I could find where they are stored, it might lead me to a way to sideload .mobi books. Mobi books that are converted to epub don't read as naturally as the mobi format (for me, at least).

Hopefully, some hungry app developer will solve this problem. I would happily pay for an app that would read my mobi book collection.

Regards,
Russ

I read somewhere that the Kindle books are converted into java on the surface and can only be read using HTML5?

Not sure what all that means but as I understand it, it is the reason that you cannot sideload books into the app.

Russ

I read somewhere that the Kindle books are converted into java on the surface.

Thank you! That was the link I needed to find them.

Kindle books are stored in: User***\AppData\Local\Packages\AMZNMobile***\AC\InetCache\ in various folders.

Note: What appears as "In etCache" above should be "InetCache"

I had been to that location before, but didn't know what I was looking at. With "Sapper's" suggestion, I opened the Kindle app, downloaded a book from the Cloud, then went to the above location and looked for files with today's date. Now that I recognize the pattern, I can see that my other Kindle books that are on the Device, are in that location.

Sapper is right -- that is the reason one cannot sideload books into the app. I am now persuaded and will abandon my quest. I didn't accomplish much, but I learned a lot.

Regards,
Russ

Last edited: