What's new

Edge browser causing battery drain due to shear volume of adverts

PotatoHole

Hi,

I like the look, feel and speed of the Edge Browser, but unfortunately I get way to many adverts on pretty much every single page I visit. A large percentage of these are video style ads where a silent film clip is running in a window, the worst I experienced was almost half the viewable page!!

Now my main concern is that all these ads with moving images are not only using more battery power to download but also more battery power to display on the screen.

I have in the mean time downloaded Chrome and added Adblock software to get rid of all the adds, unfortunately Chrome does not seem as smooth an experience as Edge. Plus I can't get it to recognise my finger presses and have to use the pen to select anything, plus when the keyboard in not connected the onscreen keyboard disappears after I type the 1st character.

I read somewhere that Microsoft maybe adding Extensions to Edge, which would mean we can then add an Adblock type of software right? Is there a rough ETA on the addition of Extensions?

Do you have any suggestions or comments that might make my browsing experience feel less like constant barrage of pointless adverts i.e, I just bought this Surface Pro 4 a few days ago, I'm not going to buy another one yet I'm bombarded with adverts to buy one.

leeshor

There are multiple threads on how to add a host file that Edge will use, along with a registry hack that will lessen the battery drain by maybe 20% or a little more. If you really want to save battery don't use Chrome either, try Firefox with Adblock Plus.

OP
PotatoHole

PotatoHole

There are multiple threads on how to add a host file that Edge will use, along with a registry hack that will lessen the battery drain by maybe 20% or a little more. If you really want to save battery don't use Chrome either, try Firefox with Adblock Plus.

Ok, sounds like Firefox with Adblock plus maybe the easiest solution to try. Will give it a go.Thank you.