What's new

Edge flickering

beluga25

Seen lots of posts here about screen flickering but nothing about flickering only when browsing
with Edge. I can sometimes go minutes w/o flickering but frequently get continuous massive
flickering/black screen using Edge. I switch to IE 11 and everything is fine. Never get flickering otherwise, only
in Edge.

Don't have any heat problems, everything's updated. Is this likely the same problem every one else is
having or something different?

leeshor

None of my experiences with Edge have been without issues. I, (and my Surface using customers), have opted not to use it.

Wayne Orwig

I use Edge most of the time. I used to get flickering and driver crashes. After the updates, it has only happened once or twice.

OP
B

beluga25

ok, TY. I have Edge on my and my wife's desktops, my other big laptop and my wife's laptop. Zero issues,
only the flickering here on the SB.

leeshor

ok, TY. I have Edge on my and my wife's desktops, my other big laptop and my wife's laptop. Zero issues,
only the flickering here on the SB.
None of those devices are likely to be using Intel integrated video because it is happening on non Surface devices too. Since I primarily use Intel video all those Windows 10 desktops have issues with Edge so they stopped using it. The systems with Quadro video are not having the problem.

OP
B

beluga25

Yes, I forgot about the whole discrete/integrated video thing. Well, all my devices, including the SB are discrete video (on the SB I have the
NVidia GPU defaulted through the control panel since I'm always near a.c. power). The wife has one of the Lenovo 2-n-1s with Intel video
and no problems with Edge. I guess our mileage DOES vary, lol. Well, first-world problems, thanks much anyway.

Peter
Madison, Wisconsin

leeshor

All the desktop systems that are/were issues are using HD4600 Intel Graphics. Most have been able to get around the driver issues by not using Edge and by using an ad blocker.

crispincorky

Where do you set the Surface Book to use dedicated GPU instead of intel graphics in the control panel?

I've gone into Nvidia control panel but that seems to be for 3d.

Thanks,

Chris Cork

Yes, I forgot about the whole discrete/integrated video thing. Well, all my devices, including the SB are discrete video (on the SB I have the
NVidia GPU defaulted through the control panel since I'm always near a.c. power). The wife has one of the Lenovo 2-n-1s with Intel video
and no problems with Edge. I guess our mileage DOES vary, lol. Well, first-world problems, thanks much anyway.

Peter
Madison, Wisconsin

ncameron

That is it. I know it seems to be for 3D only, but that is it.
You can change the overall default to GPU, but that will drive you mad when you want to detach.
Or you can change the default per application.