What's new

Edge - Yes or No

bluegrass

I'm really a bit old (75) for still being a full time tech after 46 years (started out with MAI (later Sorbus) and I'm also a bit old school in some of my thinking. I personally don't care much about the need to install add-ins and extensions in my browser, but I have read so many bad things about Edge that I have been sticking with IE11 (again, old school). I do micro computer support where I work and have been removing Edge from the Start menu and task bar and replacing it with IE11. I don't need to have a bunch of people calling me telling me about a problem with Edge.

I install Chrome and Firefox on all the desktops & laptops that I install at my organization, so they have those options as well. We are only being forced to install some 8.1 computers and now it looks like we can't even purchase those anymore so I'm setting up my first Windows 10 Lenovo laptop. I might mention thou, that with the great reviews of Surface Pro 3's have been getting, my manager has purchased about 20 of them in the past 6 months.

I really depend a lot on all the information I gather by reading this forum. I will depend on you guys to let me know when it's safe to start using Edge.

Last edited:

leeshor

I'm with you on that. No Edge use on mine except for Cortana results and Edge is not on the taskbar, in my case it's Firefox. I have issues with Chrome on any battery operated device otherwise I would consider it.

Last edited:

Kris

Firefox then Chrome, I treat Edge like the plague. I would just use Firefox but I have a lot of other devices linked to Chrome. If you use Chrome just make sure to stop all of it's other operations. First one uncheck "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed" under settings->Advanced settings. Then make sure to turn off the system tray icons. You say you don't really care about extensions but I would at least install Adblock Plus to either browser.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've just switched back to Firefox. I do like Edge but there seems too many issues with it and Battery life on my SP3 is suffering lately at only 4 hours since Windows 10. I also have tried Chrome and that didn't really work that well on the Surface either.

So far since installing Firefox this morning I've not heard the fan run on my SP3 once, where it was running on and off all the time before. So fingers crossed firefox will sort my issues. Just doing my first charge since switching over and I'll see how long it lasts with this update.

Firefox then Chrome, I treat Edge like the plague. I would just use Firefox but I have a lot of other devices linked to Chrome. If you use Chrome just make sure to stop all of it's other operations. First one uncheck "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed" under settings->Advanced settings. Then make sure to turn off the system tray icons. You say you don't really care about extensions but I would at least install Adblock Plus to either browser.

This, but I use Canary as it likes the battery much better and +1 on AdBlock Plus and turning off Flash.

CrippsCorner

Edge has nice rendering in tablet mode... but that's where the goodness ends for me I'm afraid.

Chrome syncing across multiple desktops and my iPhone is just too good to ignore!

EHoskinson

I setup a workaround to get to IE11 directly. I used Edge to browse to a site I wanted as my IE11 Homepage. Click on ... (More actions) and click on Open with Internet Explorer. Click on Tools and click on Add site to Apps. Go to Apps, right click the icon and select Pin to Start. You now have a tile that opens your Homepage with IE11.

Micropel

I tweaked a few registry's behide edge and its beast. I do not fool with chrome anymore especially deeply reading there browser policies. Firefox Is cool to use as I am also do Programing and use firefox to test out certain instances. my ranking right now.

-Edge
-Firefox
-IE (Yes I still use ie. why, you ask? Because it is still a great browser.)

OP
B

bluegrass

Why don't you enlighten us on what tweaks you made to the registry and what did they correct for you. Also tell us why you think Edge is a beast.