What's new

electric shock while on charge.

jonnym

Hello
My new manufacturer reconditioned surface pro makes my fingers tingle when you rub the back of the device while on charge.

I know this is a common issue, but is it that bad? Does it get worse or have any other negative effects?

I've spoken to Microsoft who initially agreed to have it checked, but they called today to say they wouldn't.

I got it quite cheap £274 from a UK stockiest who will allow me to return it but not replaced it as I think he doesn't really believe me and thinks it a time waste. I love the device and will keep it if its not an issue.

Anyone got any advise?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
You could try reversing the plug to see if that makes any difference. also try it in another outlet/different circuit to make sure it not a circuit problem.
You should get it replaced if it persists.

OP
J

jonnym

I've tried all you have suggested. Yes I would like it replaced , but as mentioned that's an issue.

Thanks for the help.

Jon

Last edited:
OP
J

jonnym

I just found this on : http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-body-is/592f1d5c-7b15-41ab-b557-6895dc2d61c5

This is the reply I received from the support escalation team:
"My name is x and I work with Microsoft on the Surface team. I received communication regarding your recent experience with your Microsoft Surface tablet. I understand that you are concerned about the electric current levels running through the Surface Tablet. Microsoft is aware of reports of sensations similar to pinpricks when touching Surface while its power supply is plugged into AC wall outlets. The current involved is far less than the amount allowed by international safety standards and does not pose any risk of harm. This is not an indication of malfunction with your Surface product. All AC wall powered electronic devices with conductive metal surfaces may produce enough current that some people can feel. We regret any inconvenience or concern this may have caused you but we are unable to offer you a refund for this product."

Near the bottom of the page.

Still not that convinced

Thanks

Jonnym

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've tried all you have suggested. Yes I would like it replaced , but as mentioned that's an issue.
Tell them an engineer indicated it could be a safety issue and recommended replacement.
Right, in most cases there's no serious harm but then there's the small percentage of exceptions.

You could put it in a case or put a skin on it.

leeshor

This is a problem that has been reported for some other tablets on other forums, (Android) but most of the time reversing the polarity of the plug helps. You may also have a problem with the wall socket though less likely.

OP
J

jonnym

I've asked them if they felt this would be safe to use with a pacemaker by email and phone. We will see if they respond.
Thanks for the help

Jon

daniielrp

I've had the same on my SP3, SP2 and iPhone 5s, all of which have a metal casings, and as Leeshor said other devices have this "feature" too. The reversing plug trick does seem to work sometimes though!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just wanted to point out that in times past you had to pay for electric shock treatment. This is a FREE feature :D

Wayne Orwig

I'll look at it closer when I get a chance. But......
When you have a two pronged plug, you don't have a ground path. But they still need to drain any static that may build up. Static can be in the thousands of volts, and it can damage equipment. So they may put a very very low current path to the AC plug, to drain off any static. That can mean there is a very small AC current on the metal. If they are draining to just one line, then reversing the plug so the drain is to the neutral line will eliminate the problem.

Edit.....
OK, it looks like it has a drain that is balanced between the two AC mains. So that means that reversing the plug probably isn't going to help.
And the current at 120volts is about 23ua, as in 0.000023 amps. Very low, but enough to occasionally notice. And if the same power supply is used in Europe, and I suspect it is, then it is going to be about double that.

Last edited:

CrippsCorner

Happens to loads of my devices, so nothing to worry about I think. I once had the Surface & iPhone both charging from the PSU block and I touched both at the same time... proper shock! Won't do that again.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Happens to loads of my devices, so nothing to worry about I think. I once had the Surface & iPhone both charging from the PSU block and I touched both at the same time... proper shock! Won't do that again.
Argh, unfortunately this approach will lead to serious injury when it should never happen at all. Well... its ok ... only a very small percentage will actually get electrocuted and we can blame it on them then, otherwise you'll just get a little tingling and we can continue to properly ignore the problem. :mad: