What's new

email address for student discount still mandatory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wynand32

Honestly, I've never understood why companies don't require confirmation from a valid .edu email address, at the very least. Those discounts are real money taken directly from the bottom line that are intended to attract students who presumably will spend more on technology over their lifespans than the non-educated (and who will take their preference into the businessed they're eventually employed at, etc.). It's a very carefully calculated marketing decision, and so I don't know why they aren't more careful.

Jeffrey

Honestly, I've never understood why companies don't require confirmation from a valid .edu email address, at the very least. Those discounts are real money taken directly from the bottom line that are intended to attract students who presumably will spend more on technology over their lifespans than the non-educated (and who will take their preference into the business they're eventually employed at, etc.). It's a very carefully calculated marketing decision, and so I don't know why they aren't more careful.
Good question. My guess is parents/relatives are usually paying the tab. I wonder how many people are actually taking advantage of the system.

OP
S

Saul

Apple requires a valid student ID in order to receive any discount at their retail stores. They require you to select the school you attend when purchasing online. I do not believe that Apple has intentionally given anyone a loophole to receive a 10% discount.

If there are those circumventing the system so be it. We at Surface Forums do not condone this behavior, nor will we allow this to turn into an Apple or MS bashing. Thanks for your understanding.

Apple online never asked me for my zip & school (I'm in Australia)*, & I'm pretty sure it's just as laxed in the stores here, may have changed lately though.

If able, can you please address my original post & the questions therein, specifically; have rigid verification requirements been removed, if not, how are some folks able to get the discount w.o having a student address?

For those whom are perhaps a little bit precious & maybe felt threatened, I never started this thread with any intent whatsoever of bashing MS, I couldn't care less about that.

*if they did (pretty sure they didn't) there was 0 verification of that data

Last edited:

wynand32

Good question. My guess is parents/relatives are usually paying the tab. I wonder how many people are actually taking advantage of the system.

Even if someone else is paying, that doesn't get in the way of confirming the email address. I suppose the only explanation is that they don't want to put people off at the most critical juncture in the buying decision, and so they're willing to accept losses from scammers.

As far as how many are taking advantage of it, I'd guess it's not so terribly high a percentage. I think most people don't spend as much time thinking about these purchases as people like us who take the time to post to forums like this.

OP
S

Saul

I suppose the only explanation is that they don't want to put people off at the most critical juncture in the buying decision, and so they're willing to accept losses from scammers. As far as how many are taking advantage of it, I'd guess it's not so terribly high a percentage. I think most people don't spend as much time thinking about these purchases as people like us who take the time to post to forums like this.

Yes, all well known & pondered many a time, I even touched on this before (didn't raise all the points you've covered here because I felt it was a digression too far). They're not scammers, they're just some extra sales that may not have otherwise transpired.

OK...the tone of this thread needs to change. Keep it on topic and no personal attacks.

Now... Guys? :)

See here for the on-topic:
http://www.surfaceforums.net/thread...t-discount-still-mandatory.13874/#post-110784

Thank-you.

Last edited:

wynand32

They're not scammers...

Oh, they're scammers. Not the most egregious ethical lapse I can think of, but it's not exactly honest. ;)

But, yes, to stay on point: Microsoft has a policy of requiring a .edu email address. But when I've purchased for my wife, who's a student, they've never actually required it. They ask for it, and I've been prepared to provide it, but by the time the sale is done they've invariably forgotten to actually enter it. Online, they don't require it at all--just select the school and you're sent to the student site.

Interestingly, same thing for the veteran's discount, which I (legitimately) use when I don't use my wife's education discount. And there, both online and in-store, just confirm that you're a veteran and you're given the requisite discount (which doesn't seem as broad as the education discount, but that's neither here nor there).

Not sure if I've digressed, but hey, it's a Saturday morning!

OP
S

Saul

Oh, they're scammers. Not the most egregious ethical lapse I can think of, but it's not exactly honest. ;)

Completely disagree & have already touched-on why, & can go into much more detail why (some of which goes to some points you yourself have made), but lets have no more of this digression please.

But, yes, to stay on point: Microsoft has a policy of requiring a .edu email address. But when I've purchased for my wife, who's a student, they've never actually required it. They ask for it, and I've been prepared to provide it, but by the time the sale is done they've invariably forgotten to actually enter it. Online, they don't require it at all--just select the school and you're sent to the student site.

Well there you go, the very same laxness (perhaps more so) that exists with Apple's system, albeit the semantics are different, curious indeed, gee, I wonder why the laxness /s. Thank-you for finally answering what could've been answered centuries ago without all the attitude, it's very much appreciated. You have (somewhat) restored my tattered faith in this 'community'.

Interestingly, same thing for the veteran's discount, which I (legitimately) use when I don't use my wife's education discount.(which doesn't seem as broad as the education discount, but that's neither here nor there).

What's that, you mean war veterans? What do you mean not as broad, you mean the % disc isn't as high? Don't think they have a veterans discount for Oz, shame really.

Thank-you kind sir.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Completely disagree & have already touched-on why, & can go into much more detail why (some of which also goes to some points you yourself have made) but no more of this digression.

Well there you go, the very same laxness (perhaps more so) that exists with Apple's system, albeit the semantics are different, curious indeed, gee, I wonder why the laxness /s. Thank-you for finally answering what could've been answered centuries ago without all the attitude, it's very much appreciated. You have (somewhat) restored my tattered faith in this 'community'.

Thank-you kind sir.
In most of the world, claiming to be something you are not to claim a benefit is considered fraud of course the likelihood of being charged is small, check in your law but as Jeffrey has stated this forum will not condone this type of action.

OP
S

Saul

Not to digress again (pls lets make this the final one) but I simply do not agree that they're genuine 'benefits' in the 1st place, not with that sort of laxness, it's a sales mech. IME. Don't worry, I won't pro-actively encourage people to do it, what they do is what they do, just as I expect them not to "pass judgement" on my perspective. And as mentioned in my OP, I have at various times claimed these "benefits" when I've "legitimately" been able to, just not in EVERY instance.

Last edited:

AllTaken

I have taken advantage of Apple discount. Ordered over the phone and they didn't once ask for ID or proof of anything. Their decision.

If they had of required the proof I would have provided it.

The calculated marketing talk is nonsense. The student discount is a way of attracting students whom may have otherwise purchased a more affordable Dell system etc. Companies know the discount doesn't come back to them in years gone by, it's purely a sale that could have been lost if discount were not offered.

On topic - I don't believe Microsoft will sell a product with student discount without confirmation. This assumes telephone sales ask for proof before confirmation.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Not to digress again (pls lets make this the final one) but I simply do not agree that they're genuine 'benefits' in the 1st place, not with that sort of laxness, it's a sales mech IME.
You can believe what you want, but that doesn't change the law....

From the Microsoft EDU Store:

Audit Rights
Microsoft may routinely audit the purchases of customers at the Microsoft Education Store to insure that that all purchase conditions have been observed. If Microsoft discovers you have made a false representations of eligibility or that a customer does not meet the purchase conditions, you authorize Microsoft:

• For credit card orders, to charge to your credit card the difference between the amount you paid for the delivered goods and the price that Microsoft charged the general public for the same goods at the Microsoft Store, in effect on the date that you place your order; and
  • For Gift Card, cash, or other payment means, the Microsoft Store will (a) invoice the difference between the amount that you paid for the products and the price that Microsoft charged the general public for the same goods at the Microsoft Store, payable in fifteen days from the date of the invoice, and (b), should you fail to pay the invoice when due, Microsoft may institute legal action against you in a court of competent jurisdiction, with the prevailing party entitled to attorneys' fees.

From the Apple EDU Store:

Audit Rights
Apple routinely audits the purchases of customers at the Apple Store for Education to insure that that all purchase conditions have been observed. Should we discover that you have not observed all of the conditions applicable to your purchase, you authorize Apple:

• If you placed your order by credit card, to charge to your credit card the difference between the amount you paid for the delivered goods and the price that Apple charged the general public for the same goods at the Apple Store, in effect on the date that you placed your order; and
  • If you paid by a means other than credit card, to (a) invoice you for the difference between the amount that you paid for the delivered goods and the price that Apple charged the general public for the same goods at the Apple Store, payable in fifteen days from the date of the invoice, and (b), should you fail to pay the invoice when due, institute legal action against you in a court of competent jurisdiction, with the prevailing party entitled to attorneys' fees.
  • Should Apple not offer to the general public the specific products that you purchased at the Apple Store for Education, your credit card will be charged or you will be invoiced the difference between the amount you paid for the delivered goods and the price that Apple charged the general public for the closest equivalent goods at the Apple Store, in effect on the date that you placed your order.

Status
Not open for further replies.