What's new

Email Client

leeshor

I tend to agree with the Thunderbird solution. It will allow you to sync your calendar with Google and has its own local calendar app. Thunderbird can also keep your contacts synced, using an add-on called gContactSync The calendar add-on is called Lightning. What I like about Thunderbird, along with the simplicity, is that each folder created from the main account is a separate file. That makes it more responsive than Outlook if you are dealing with a lot of mail.

Installing Thunderbird will import all of your Outlook mail and contacts

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@erandhawa,

I think it is worth finding out why your Surface Pro 3 could not handle your needs, including Outlook 2013 for email. My SP3 handles Outlook for 3 Exchange accounts and 6 other accounts (heavy traffic on the first three), an FTP client, and does my geophysical work, and often the receiver or transmitter of VPN or VNC sessions, without these problems.

I heard the fan only once, during a firmware update, months ago. And my SP3 sits in a thick rubber case (urban Armor Gear), so it has plenty opportunity to heat up.

Email involves mostly file management and communications tasks, not number crunching. Good workaround solutions to your original setup are proposed here, to your original setup, but you should not have these problems.

OP
E

erandhawa

sharpcolorado, thanks for the input that's what I was thinking. I have a feeling it may be the gsyncit program working along side of outlook but I am going to give it another run. I have noticed since installed the graphics drivers from the intel website my fan noise has gone down drastically. I was getting the fan on pretty consistently when I had my surface docked and now I haven't heard it once. Since this seems to maybe have resolved my issue I am now going to attempt to go back to outlook 2013. I will keep everyone posted on my findings.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
... Since this seems to maybe have resolved my issue I am now going to attempt to go back to outlook 2013. I will keep everyone posted on my findings.

Great. Give Outlook 2013 time to sync its folders and accounts. During this period, you may have some fan action.