What's new

Email folders (not inbox, but folders) not syncing in Outlook 2013

I have added my IMAP email accounts to Outlook 2013 (and mail app) and not all of my folders and emails that are stored in folders on the server have synced.Some have, but most haven't.

We have our email accounts with Bluehost. They all sync fine on all our other devices.

Any idea why or what I would need to do to get all the folders syncing?

Cheers.

leeshor

From your explanation I don't see any logical reason they shouldn't be syncing. The only thing I have seen hang something like that up, assuming any folders were syncing, was a folder size issue or a hung message on the server side. The size issue was eventually resolved by waiting long enough.

graye

Try this...

Go to Folder tab, IMAP Folders, All, hit the Query button to populate the list, then select the folders you want (perhaps all of them?)

wertzius

I had the same error, it needs up to 2 hours to collect all emails for the first time! Simply let the surface run for 2 hours, but not in Connected Standby!

leeshor

I had the same error, it needs up to 2 hours to collect all emails for the first time! Simply let the surface run for 2 hours, but not in Connected Standby!
Exactly what I attemted to pont out. None may appear before all are done.

OP
T

thefollans

I have let the surface run over night and still only some of the folders are appearing.

They are there as I can access them all via webmail or via my other computers.

Do I need to delete the mailbox and try to read it again?

I feel like the SP3 has some slow sync capabilities? Even just the Inbox takes ages to sync if I delete an email from there (it disappears from all other devices almost immediately).

Is this normal?

leeshor

I don;t see anything that unusual at this stage. I have some customers with the same issues on desktops and laptops.The sync performance depends on a lot of variables, (deleting mail is the easy part). Do you know the space used by the folders on the WEB side? The sizes of some of the attachments can also be a big issue.

OP
T

thefollans

I don;t see anything that unusual at this stage.

So what would you suggest I do Leesport?They all appear in the mail app, just not in logical order and I have to scroll every time I want to access one... just not appearing in Outlook 2013?

I would have thought that if the mail app could see them and sync them then Outlook would be able to as well.

leeshor

It should work as you describe, as far as I know, from doing that on other systems. Maybe someone else can tell you more.

Personally I still feel it won't display correctly until it has done a complete sync.

As I mentioned, a lot depends on your particular mail server, attachment sizes, which can stall the process, folder sizes and more.

Telstar1948

I'm sure there's some perfectly good technical reason why this is, but I'm always amazed that the Mail app will automatically retrieve all your email settings on a new device (for multiple email accounts) without you doing anything, but when you decide to use Outlook it's one account at a time & you have to be involved in setting them up. In my case, 6 email accounts and only a couple will create through the wizard. The others won't so you have to do them manually, which for me usually means jumping through hoops to get them right. Why can't the flagship email program for MS simply "suck" the data directly from the Mail app on the same device or through the cloud like the Mail app does??

OP
T

thefollans

So is everyone using Outlook? The Mail App? Something else?

It's sort of critical that my email's work as it is a business account. This is the most frustrating thing at the moment.

OP
T

thefollans

So this is what happens in Outlook 2013. Every time I look at the SP3, this is happening.Think I am going to have to delete the account and then try again? I have left this running for about 4 to 5 hours and it never changes.Then when it does just close / finish, the folders are not synced?