What's new

EMF Levels in Pro 2

SteveMark

Has anyone tested the EMF levels emitted by the Surface Pro 2? I'm especially interested to know what the reading is at the surface of the screen itself (where one touches it) and to know what the levels are at successive distances away from the device.

bluegrass

Never thought about it radiating my fingers. Wouldn't manufacturers need to pass some kind of code if it had dangerous radiation levels? I knew that was a problem with CRT's but I have never heard a word about LED's shooting through liquid crystals. Aren't the LED's just used for back lighting?

Before claiming "quack", give him the benefit of doubt: maybe he's pondering use in a hospital or somewhere else where there's machinery sensitive to EMFs.

OP
S

SteveMark

Thanks, but I was not primarily interested in learning the SAR (relevant mainly to cell phones, etc.) but to the intensity of the EMF of the device itself with the WI-FI disabled (as one would measure the EMF of a refrigerator). Google searches have not been fruitful in this regard, and I had hoped some members of this forum had conducted tests at varying distances and could report the results. This is not a weird request. It’s important to know what the levels of EMSs are.

Using the ghost detector on my phone, emf spikes across the bottom of the screen to 6,000mG, but drops back to 1,300 at the windows button.

Field drops to half strength at 5mm out, half again at 10mm, and to background after an inch or 2.

Conclusion: my Windows button is haunted.

OP
S

SteveMark

It was a serious question. I'm sorry members are making light of it. If anyone has actual information relevant to my request, please share it.

bluegrass

Serious question. Would there be any reason to think the emf from a Surface would be at a more dangerous level then laptops and desktop that so many of use or have used over the years. Maybe an emf meter could be rented or borrowed to do some tests.

benjitek

I don't think the average forum user has the equipment required to do such testing -- isn't it usually performed in some sort of lab environment?