What's new

End Of Support for Surface Pro 5 LTE December 1st 2021

mjddnor

Hello guys I am the owner of SP5 LTE which I really enjoy. My question is that I saw that in December this year its the end of support. My questions are:
1. Can I still use my product?
2. What will change in everyday use?
3. What about the windows pro installed on it? Will still receive updates?
4. Will be safe to use it?

Plantje

Que?!

Of course you can still use it! I wasn't aware of an end to support. Most likely this only means that if it breaks they will not repair it

OP
M

mjddnor

Que?!

Of course you can still use it! I wasn't aware of an end to support. Most likely this only means that if it breaks they will not repair it
Thank you very much, can not repair it under warrant? if its end of support and you pay for repair also they can not?

Plantje

Few steps back... (My first response was on my phone and since a lot of people don't respond after a question, I didn't pay much attention)

Where did you read that the SP5 Advanced LTE will not be supported anymore after December 2021? Is there a chance that it is just your unit that is out of warranty then?
Assumuning it is Microsoft stating in general for all SP5 Advanced LTE owners: we will no longer support this device after December this year:
1. Yes, you can definitely still use the product! People are still using the SP1, 2, 3, 4 without any issues!
2. Nothing will change in every day use
3. Windows Pro came with the device, but is separately supported. Make sure you update on a regular basis to the at least the supported version (I always updat to the most current version as soon as possible) and you're good!
4. Well, I wouldn't see in what scenario it would be UNSAFE to use it.

With regards to your follow up question: if you go to your Microsoft account you can check for how long it will be repaired under warranty. I am not sure what will happen if you request a repaid in January 2022. I would think it is not an issue as the SP6, SP7 and SP7+ are basically still the same.
On the other hand "repair" in Microsoft terms almost always means: replace with a refurbished device. So perhaps the replacement devices are running out. And it would be weird if you send in a device for repair and you get a SP7+ (since that is the only one with built in LTE) Otherwise I will be happy to send in mine for some repairs! :)

OP
M

mjddnor

Few steps back... (My first response was on my phone and since a lot of people don't respond after a question, I didn't pay much attention)

Where did you read that the SP5 Advanced LTE will not be supported anymore after December 2021? Is there a chance that it is just your unit that is out of warranty then?
Assumuning it is Microsoft stating in general for all SP5 Advanced LTE owners: we will no longer support this device after December this year:
1. Yes, you can definitely still use the product! People are still using the SP1, 2, 3, 4 without any issues!
2. Nothing will change in every day use
3. Windows Pro came with the device, but is separately supported. Make sure you update on a regular basis to the at least the supported version (I always updat to the most current version as soon as possible) and you're good!
4. Well, I wouldn't see in what scenario it would be UNSAFE to use it.

With regards to your follow up question: if you go to your Microsoft account you can check for how long it will be repaired under warranty. I am not sure what will happen if you request a repaid in January 2022. I would think it is not an issue as the SP6, SP7 and SP7+ are basically still the same.
On the other hand "repair" in Microsoft terms almost always means: replace with a refurbished device. So perhaps the replacement devices are running out. And it would be weird if you send in a device for repair and you get a SP7+ (since that is the only one with built in LTE) Otherwise I will be happy to send in mine for some repairs! :)
Thank you very much for the answer, these information I found them here:
These are the End of Support dates for your Surface tablet or laptop - MSPoweruser

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
That just means that there will be no more driver/firmware updates from Microsoft, and at some point, the hardware may not be supported on future Windows Builds.