What's new

Endgadget: Microsoft passes on updating the Surface Pro

DavidZ

Microsoft passes on updating the Surface Pro

by Jon Fingas

Microsoft announced a flurry of hardware at its Surface event, but there was one very conspicuous omission: a new Surface Pro tablet. For the first time in a long while, a year will come and go without an updated version of Microsoft's most iconic computer. There haven't been any quiet spec bumps either. The Surface Pro 4 still starts at $899 with a Core m3 processor, 4GB of RAM and 128GB of storage, while higher-end models also have the same specs as before. But why did the company pass on the opportunity?

We've asked Microsoft if it can comment on the lack of changes and will let you know if it has something to add. However, it wouldn't be surprising if this is a matter of timing. Intel only just launched its seventh-generation Core processors at the tail end of August. That doesn't leave Microsoft a lot of time to integrate the new chips into shipping products, especially for a popular and highly customized system like the Surface Pro 4. It won't be surprising if there's a sequel in the months ahead. Still, that's not much consolation if you were hoping to buy a Pro with fresh specs before the year was out.

OP
D

DavidZ

Good, I think the notion of yearly refreshes somehow being mandatory is just daft. Release a product when you've good reason to do so, not just a small spec bump cash grab which doesn't really offer much to the user, and just impacts any economies of scale found in the value chain.
I agree.

I'm glad they did not alter or try to improve the Surface Pro 4 at this point in time. I think that would have been a mistake.

jason10mm

I wonder if MS will do some nice SP4 discounts for the holidays, or if they are already selling as many as they can make. The only thing holding me back from buying a new SP4 or SB is the possibility of a dGPU box via USB-C like the Razor, that could catapult the SP5 to the top tier, IMHO. If I KNEW the SP5 wouldn't have this capability (and I'm not really expecting it, but fingers crossed) I'd just get a SP4 at a black Friday sale. I'm running a SP1, so anything would be a significant upgrade :)

Votality

Good move from ms. The constant apple micro hardware updates feels like they are trying to constantly convince people to upgrade. Also you always feel crap about your purchase because unless you buy it release date, 6 months later your ipad/phone isn't the new model.

DaveTN

Good move from ms. The constant apple micro hardware updates feels like they are trying to constantly convince people to upgrade. Also you always feel crap about your purchase because unless you buy it release date, 6 months later your ipad/phone isn't the new model.

Yeah, same thing with smartphones..

David