What's new

Solved Enough Random Crashing! Help please?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you for that information.

Won't others experience the same issue though? Would it be something reportable to someone or is it something I should just move on with?
Do you have error reporting enabled? If so you have already reported it....

It could have been Firefox, Chrome or more likely the Logitech Smart Suite taking someone's memory address....

leeshor

Those things DO happen even on your standard desktop. I have a few customers who get in trouble at least once a month. ;)

I can give you one reason for their problems, that probably doesn't apply to you but these customers are always trying to get another .05 MHz from their systems and tend to tinker with various driver update software or other supposed performance enhancement software and they inevitably get into trouble for various reason. Mostly because a lot of that software is bogus from the start.

leeshor

Do you have error reporting enabled? If so you have already reported it....

It could have been Firefox, Chrome or more likely the Logitech Smart Suite taking someone's memory address....
That Smart Suite has been a problem with some systems for as long as I can remember. The problems usually stem from conflicts with various other software.

OP
Y

ynohtna

Hehe at first I was crashing twice cause of likely USB mouse issue... installed logitech suite and now after 2.5 weeks I get a different crash.

I see in my error reporting I set up for automatic and send reports if needed. I sorted the logs date descending but I don't see anything sent since the first time things crashed on the december 15th. (shortly after I did a complete system restore because I wasn't that happy with how things were going and decided to do a full refresh). So it seems not logs were sent for today.

Too bad it's not easier to point the finger :(

I'm only on this because I used windows 7 a lot and was completely stable. Never had to reboot for two or three weeks at a time. I only would reboot if kinda felt like it due to habit from Windows XP ;)

So getting onto Windows 8 with the Lenovo Helix first was a very frustrating year. 8.1 never really solved anything. Getting the SP3 was supposed to be the perfect thing but while it's much better, I have trouble accepting these kinds of crashes.

Attachments

• problemreports.PNG
    problemreports.PNG
    58.5 KB · Views: 423

drolem

Here are the essence of your 2 faults in 3 lines each:
SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (7e)
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: NULL_CLASS_PTR_DEREFERENCE
SYMBOL_NAME: igdkmd64+1a361a

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: WIN8_DRIVER_FAULT
SYMBOL_NAME: igdkmd64+1d887d
It is clearly a an Intel driver fault, but root cause may very well be HW.

Try the following in this order and see if the problem repros:
a) uninstall and remove the Intel driver, and wait 2 - 3 weeks or 2 - 3 crashes, whichever happens first
b) re-install the latest intel driver, and wait 2 - 3 weeks or 2 - 3 crashes, whichever happen first
If it crashes in both cases, chances are good that you have some kind of HW error, and you should try to get an exchange

OP
Y

ynohtna

Thank you, it's almost a month! I haven't crashed yet. Thanks to all for all the information to help me understand what the issue might be.

What I have been trying to do is close down some things I really don't need when recovering from hibernate, just be a bit tidier. Hopefully more updates and I'll be even more stable. Currently I'm up to 9 days without a full restart, I love to just hibernate. Gonna have to restart soon though cause of windows updates!

Last edited: