What's new

Eraser is cumbersome under Photoshop - Help!

solhawk

Hello all,

A friend and I are working with the following device: Up-to-date Win 10 Surface Pro 4 with the default stylus. Also loaded - the latest version of Photoshop.

When trying to erase under Photoshop, the eraser erases in layers. Kind of like a real eraser, I guess. You will pass it over some lines and they will go black-to-grey on the first pass, then they will maybe go grey-to-lighter-grey on the second pass and finally erase on the third pass.

Want this eraser to erase completely on the first pass.

Can anyone suggest a fix for this?

Thanks very much,
Sol

OP
S

solhawk

Hello - tried out the Pressure Sensitivity Button in Photoshop, but this did not work. Anyone have another hint for me?

Pressure.jpg

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
You are experiencing exactly how the pen eraser is designed - erases objects in the reverse order that they were created. That allows pen handwriting or drawing to erase a word or letter or whatever was the last contiguous stroke to erase.

In the consumer products / software products world, some would call it a "bug", and some, a "feature".

OP
S

solhawk

Hello sir, yes, I can see that this is the default setting - and that it has its uses. But I suspect there is a way to change it.

My latest impression is that toggling the Magic Eraser settings will allow me to change the behavior of the eraser on the stylus.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/erasing-parts-image.html

I am looking at the section called "Change Similar Pixels with the Magic Eraser Tool." The settings that look promising are opacity and tolerance under the magic eraser tool.

Will try this out and report back. If someone with Photoshop and a SP4 is willing to try on their end, too, in order to help me out, I would so greatly appreciate it. All hints welcome!

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Of course, the Magic Eraser Tool is different than use of the Pen. The Pen eraser will work the same way in all applications and programs, as it is part of Windows 10 "Continuum". The Magic Eraser Tool is a Photoshop gadget.