What's new

Error 80070103 trying to install 5/14 firmware updaate

dleuen

I'm getting Error code 80070103 when trying to install the 5/14 Firmware update :mad: I've rebooted, run the troubleshooter removed and re-downloaded the update file and retried about 10000 times. Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this error and allow the firmware to update? Also, how do you check the current version of the firmware? What version does this update bring the update up to? One of the possible causes it lists is that I already have a newer version of a driver. I've not installed anything but stock Microsoft updates. The reason I ask is that I thought I installed this update earlier in the week but I noticed it is in the list still and said that it failed. Maybe it did install???

machistmo

Did you read the resolution they suggest in the above links?

Resolution
For the most recent available driver, contact the device manufacturer. This issue can be safely ignored if this applies to a driver. However, the driver may be offered again by Windows Update in the future. To hide the update so that it is not offered again, follow these steps, depending on your operating system:

Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003

1. Visit the Microsoft Update Web site: http://update.microsoft.com (http://update.microsoft.com)

2. After the scan for updates is complete, click Custom on the Welcome page.
  3. In the navigation pane, click Hardware, Optional. Then, the Update client displays the available updates on the Select Optional Hardware Updates page.
  4. Expand the second update for the graphics card, and then click to select the Don't show this update again check box.
  5. Click Review and install updates.
  6. Verify that the second update for the graphics card is not present, and then click Install Updates.

Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, and Windows 7

1. Click Start, click All Programs, and then click Windows Update.
  2. Click Check for updates.
  3. After the scan for updates is complete, click the Optional updates are available link.
  4. In the Select the updates you want to install section, right-click the update that you want to hide, and then click Hide update.
  5. Click OK.
  6. Click Install Updates to install any additional updates that are selected. If no other updates are selected, close Windows Update.

Windows 8

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Search (or if you're using a mouse, pointing to the upper-right corner of the screen, moving the mouse pointer down, and then clicking Search), type Windows Updates in the search box, tap or click Settings, and then tap or click Check for updates.
  2. After the scan is complete, tap or click the Optional updates are avialable link.
  3. Tap and hold or Right click the update you want to hide, tap or click Hide update, and then tap or click OK.
  4. If any other updates are available, save all your work in other programs, then tap or click Restart now to install updates, otherwise, close the Windows Update window.

OP
D

dleuen

DONT SHOW THIS UPDATE - That's a fix alright! Seriously MS?

Exactly this. The solution is a joke. Can someone list what the versions of the firmware components in device manager are after the 5/14 update so I can at least look at the versions should be after the update? I'm wondering if maybe one component got updated but not the others.

machistmo

Exactly this. The solution is a joke. Can someone list what the versions of the firmware components in device manager are after the 5/14 update so I can at least look at the versions should be after the update? I'm wondering if maybe one component got updated but not the others.

I contacted MS about another Firmware update issue yesterday and the response I got was FULL RESET. Awesome.

machistmo

Are you getting this error from the Update Console in Control Panel via the desktop? If so run the repair from within that screen and then do advanced repair. Once that is done use Check online for updates from Microsoft. Sounds like you are using a PC that is a member of a Domain but you're not connected to the Domain or your admins are not providing Win8 updates. There is also a Reg value for this issue which will point point your PC to default to Microsoft's online site rather than your domains WSUS server.

Last edited:
OP
D

dleuen

Thanks, I have been running the update from control panel on the desktop. I've also tried the Modern UI app. I have not joined a domain with my SP. It is for home use only.

I agree if I contact MS support I'm 99.9998% sure they will tell me do do a full reset and reinstall.

Still searching for what the firmware versions are supposed to be.

machistmo

Sorry mine is in a box waiting to go back due to the same kind of issue. I can only reset the device so many times before I cant accept this as a solution any further.

OP
D

dleuen

Is your update database corrupted? Can you post a picture of Device Manager?

Running the troubleshooter fixed two issues in the database but the error persists even after that. My device manager is clean. No warnings, yellow triagles nor any indication of issues.

machistmo

Way for the community to get involved to help you. I have mine in a box and have done my best to walk you through resolving issues. Anyone else??