What's new

Essential Apps for new SP3 owners?

scfoster

Thought I'd start a thread on which apps/programs should be added to the SP3.

I'm coming from a Macbook Air but I've been "blessed" with Win7 at the office.

Loaded Office 2013 but I do not like the Outlook 2013 interface for 5 email accounts, especially since it does not play nice with Google Calendar (Google's fault not MS).

So, I've loaded Thunderbird email client which is A LOT faster and has a much nicer interface than Outlook, IMO.

Now I'm looking for a password manager that works with Win8 and Android. Any ideas? I was using SplashID but their paranoia with software theft (I do actually purchase software) does not allow for easily transferring client purchases from one laptop to another. In addition, they're constantly pushing the $9.99 per year cloud service which is EXACTLY where I don't want to store my passcodes. So I'm looking for a simple password manager that has a ONE-TIME price for Win8 that syncs to an Android app. Any ideas?

I paid the $12 for LastPass vault but cannot for the life of me figure out how to import my SplashID info into it with the correct columns that I had set up. Also tried KeePass with similar lackluster results. If I had the time, I'd write my own for Win7/8, OSX, iOS and Android. Should be priced $4.99 for desktop and iOS/Android clients. Typical user would be all in for $10. Would sync via wi-fi to your laptop/desktop.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I recommend mSecure.

I am a heavy Apple Mac and iOS user, and use the PC via Parallels on the Macs. mSecure works great on my Surface Pro 2 (i7 SP3 on order), so I think I will stick with it.

kristalsoldier

For PDFs, I would recommend Drawboard PDF (this is a paid app). Not quite like PDF Expert on the iPad, but it is good. Thanks to Jeff for point this out sometime back.

DanL

Have you looked at Roboform? They have versions for Android, Windows, Mac etc. They also have a USB flash version. The Roboform everywhere version uses cloud so rule that one out. I've heard good things about "Last Pass" but never tried it.

gtext

Not one of the cheaper options but 1Password is really good. I use it on Mac Windows iPad/iPhone. Also available on Android.
It syncs across all via Dropbox if you wish otherwise it saves only to the device. One Purchase will let you install on all your Windows devices.

OP
scfoster

scfoster

I did see a SP3 review that had a nice list of apps but cannot find that article. One app I would like is a cleanup tool to get rid of stuff that I uninstall completely.

I've used AppZapper on the Mac with great success. Any recommendations for Win8?

Bandito

I also would recommend 1Password for keeping track of all of your logins and anything else that you want to keep secure. It's a great app and is veey actively being supported and improved.

ctitanic

I also would recommend 1Password for keeping track of all of your logins and anything else that you want to keep secure. It's a great app and is veey actively being supported and improved.

I prefer eWallet. It has a MUI version.

EMINENT

I've used Last Pass for 5 yrs. and love it. I now just let IE save my passwords since it's all I ever browse with except one website that I use that doesn't work in IE that requires Java.