What's new

Everyone needs to get the SP4 touch cover

laursaurus

Thanks for the tip!
My SP3 type cover is purple. But I don't see an SP4 type cover in purple. The blue looks kind of purple. My problem now is choosing a color :)

OP
pandathumb

pandathumb

The main things I did to improve the battery life were switching from Firefox to Edge and disabling the Windows Search service. There were a few other suggestions I found around the web but those two seemed to make the biggest improvements. Firefox was constantly keeping the CPU use high on me for some reason that I couldn't figure out, the only thing I miss after switching to Edge is LastPass integration but the standalone Windows app is pretty decent.

talon90

Thanks for the tip. I went out today and picked up the SP4 fingerprint type cover and SP4 pen. Love them both! Very much improved feel. A great update to a great tablet.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Weird I went the other way from Edge TO Firefox to conserve battery!!!! Lots of problems reported with Edge my SP3 gets better battery life since the switch.

DocACE911

Thanks for posting your comments, @pandathumb . The Surface Pro 4 Touch Cover with fingerprint reader is what I use on my Surface Pro 3. Having a complete keyboard has improved my Surface experience, too. I own a Surface Book as well, and wish the Type Cover 4 was compatible. It would make a nice lightweight alternative companion for the Clipboard (screen).

Does fingerprint reader work?

Do you need to upgrade would win 10 for fingerprint to work (I love how onedrive works in 8.1 so resistant until better app from Ms comes out)

Is there a universal password app for Windows 10 or 8?

talon90

Does fingerprint reader work?

Do you need to upgrade would win 10 for fingerprint to work (I love how onedrive works in 8.1 so resistant until better app from Ms comes out)

Is there a universal password app for Windows 10 or 8?

I'm running Windows 10 on my Pro 3 and the fingerprint sensor works perfectly. Unfortunately, as I recall, Windows 10 is a requirement to use the fingerprint

Chuck_IV

I was all set to buy one, when I saw that it had a smaller fold. This will cause issues when trying to fold it around back, with the case I have on it.

I LOVE the UAG case and the old Type Cover for the SP3 works great in that when I don't need it, I just fold it around back and use the device as a tablet. That doesn't look possible with the small/shorter fold of the new Type Cover.

I'm wondering if there are any cases like the UAG that might be thinner to allow the keyboard to fold around back.

Wait a minute. So the SP4 typecover is not the same size as SP4 type cover?!
And so it doesn't cover entire screen when attached?

I was all set to buy one so someone please let me know.

Thanks.

leeshor

Wait a minute. So the SP4 typecover is not the same size as SP4 type cover?!
And so it doesn't cover entire screen when attached?

I was all set to buy one so someone please let me know.

Thanks.
Just making a copy of this for the record. ;););)

Sounded pretty funny.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes it is the same size, fits my SP3 perfectly. I think the poster is refering to the size of the hinge bit, since the magnetic strip is narrower on the SP4 version to fit the smaller bezel - I don't know the answer to that. It is only of consequence to him due to the thickness of his UAG cover.

Chuck_IV

Yes it is the same size, fits my SP3 perfectly. I think the poster is refering to the size of the hinge bit, since the magnetic strip is narrower on the SP4 version to fit the smaller bezel - I don't know the answer to that. It is only of consequence to him due to the thickness of his UAG cover.

Yes. I have a UAG case and from what I have seen, since the fold part near the magnetic strip is smaller, it won't fold around back with the case on. This also is an issue even with the Note 4 UAG case and a Note 4.

I do have another case that I used for a while that is thin and fits like the UAG (it's a Moco but I cut the front cover off). It doesn't offer nearly as much drop protection(if any at all really) as the UAG. So I'll need to think about the benefit vs negatives.

On a side note, I did buy the new pen. That was well worth the price since I use the pen a lot.