What's new

Everything in Scale

tonyz3

Everything in Scale Win 8.1

Well this will be the DROP SPOT for all things in scale. Tips settings etc.

Tip :To add or subtract the amount of snapped app columns on the SP. Charms, Settings, Change PC settings, PC&Devices, Display, change the size of apps on displays. Smaller-increases the amount of snapped columns.

Attachments

• thUHYDT13F.jpg
    thUHYDT13F.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 775
Last edited:

mitchellvii

Well this will be the DROP SPOT for all things in scale. Tips settings etc.

Tip :To add or subtract the amount of snapped app columns on the SP. Charms, Settings, Change PC settings, PC&Devices, Display, change the size of apps on displays. Smaller-increases the amount of snapped columns.

The Apps Brothers running side by side:

inbreeding-350x357.jpg

Last edited:
OP
tonyz3

tonyz3

Well i had a little time to mess with dual my external monitors in 8.1. to start it did not recognize one of the screens, the second one which runs from the USB. Eventually i made my way to the display link website but says driver is incompatible but the link you to their forums which have a beta avail.. i grabbed it and got the 2nd monitor up and running. One issue is the touch only now works in the monitor 1 not monitor 2. That is ok for now. But booting back into 8.0. touch works in both monitors. Now the scaling seemed to work independently in both monitors and i had a few issues. But that was when i went crazy with monitor 1having 2 separate metro snapped apps as well as the desktop outlook email, and cal and 2 metro on 2nd. With this the scaling in email outlook on mon1 was off a bit. The exciting part is having the ability to snap metro on each screen. The driver issue with display link will hopefully be fixed soon.

mitchellvii

Hmmm, but this really doesn't solve the real problem does it? For instance, if I want 150 on my SP and 100 on my external monitor? Their goal is to make everything take up the same amount of screen real estate no matter the monitor. My goal is to make things take up far less real estate on the extended monitor.

Igor

Isn't the goal to make everything a comfortable, usable size on all monitors?

I would think the side-effect of this goal is that you would maximize your screen real estate by default.

For instance, if I am happy with the size of screen elements on my 30" monitor at the default DPI, I could set a second screen to match the size of these elements without having to worry about the specific DPI myself. No?

mitchellvii

Instead of getting so fancy MS should just add a feature where we can individually set the DPI for each screen. 125 here, 100 there, etc...

ArnoldC

Isn't it what we have in 8.1 now? Depending on the device capability, we can scale it granularly.

Igor

Instead of getting so fancy MS should just add a feature where we can individually set the DPI for each screen. 125 here, 100 there, etc...

The problem is most people have no clue what DPI is and how it relates to what they see on the screen, they just want stuff to be the same size. But now that Windows actually supports displaying different DPI on different monitors maybe you can get to the raw values through registry or something?

They should probably make it an option though, but they wont, everything is going down the Apple-like road of "it just works" (as long as you want it to work exactly the way that we designed it and no other).

CrippsCorner

I've read so many horror stories about these DPI settings but for me, I've never had a problem. I use the Modern UI on my Surface, and the Desktop on my external monitor :) happy days.