What's new

Exasperated New Surface RT Owner

Lady Astor

Just received my new Surface a couple of days ago and so far, I am not loving this thing. Tried to download the 8.1 Windows upgrade and it gets all the way to the end and sends me a message that it was unable to complete the task. I downloaded the Kindle app but am not able to access the store. Same story with the Amazon app. Seems like I am just running into walls every way I turn, but I also believe it is "operator error" not the device. Don't know if I am in the right place, but can anyone help?

EMINENT

Just received my new Surface a couple of days ago and so far, I am not loving this thing. Tried to download the 8.1 Windows upgrade and it gets all the way to the end and sends me a message that it was unable to complete the task. I downloaded the Kindle app but am not able to access the store. Same story with the Amazon app. Seems like I am just running into walls every way I turn, but I also believe it is "operator error" not the device. Don't know if I am in the right place, but can anyone help?

First of all welcome. Secondly, there was an update issue for about one day I recall when 8.1 was released, but has since been fixed. I can't advise on the download as I've never experienced this. However, whenever I have an update issue, a hard reboot usually fixes this, followed by a reset if necessary.

As far as Kindle app goes, I don't use it, but Paul Thurrott has and says it isn't good, but using the Nook app for periodicals is great. Try that and see what you think.

Omni

The problems you have are nothing to do with the Surface RT but rather Windows 8. I would either Google/bing the error code you get or hard reset install the KB2871389 update then head to the store again to download 8.1.