What's new

Excel UserForms on Surface Pro

TedN

I raised this topic some weeks ago and it appears to have died. Since then I have talked extensively with Microsoft Support and have got nowhere. I'm hoping that more people now have tried to use UserForms on a touch screen.

The problem is that scrolling of UserForms on a touch screen is limited to using a scrollbar. One cannot scroll a UserForm from the form itself. This defeats the object of touch screens. There's no problem with a spreadsheet. One can scroll, pinch, etc., from anywhere on the sheet.

The last comments I got from Microsoft support was to go back to the Surface forum and raise the topic again. So here I am.

So the question is: Can one scroll a UserForm on a touch screen from the form itself?

If yes, what is required to implement this.
If no, will this feature be added.

I am using Windows 8, Office 2013 and a Surface Pro.

Thank you.

Mcfly

I just tried it on one of my workbooks. At first it didn't seem to work (this was without the touch cover attached). I then tried it with the pen (dragging the scroll bar) and that got it going. Now it will scroll with my finger also. Then I tried it with touch cover attached using click and hold on the scroll bar. Again, works fine. I tried this on both Office 10 and 13. My finger is a little big on the surface so not sure if it was a fluke to get it going or just my finger technique??? Dumb question, you've checked all the settings in the userforms properties? Userforms are a little finicky on any machine...

OP
T

TedN

Hi McFly. Can you scroll the UserForm by touching the UserForm itself, not the scrollbar. That is what I'm trying to do. I want to be able to "flick" the form up and down with my finger by swiping anywhere on the form - just like it's possible with a spreadsheet.

Garyjk

i have a contact that's a program manager on the excel team. i'll ask him when/if this will ever happen?

Garyjk

ok, heard back from him and right now it's not on the radar, but it is important to make excel as touch friendly as possible. that's all i have.

seaham358

I have Office 2013 installed and I can scroll using the touch screen anywhere on the page and it scrolls up and down left to right.
When I first opened the spread sheet sent to me through an email it would only open 3/4 not the whole screen. After messing with it open,close open,close and so on it opened in full page. No issues at all now.

Mcfly

Hi McFly. Can you scroll the UserForm by touching the UserForm itself, not the scrollbar. That is what I'm trying to do. I want to be able to "flick" the form up and down with my finger by swiping anywhere on the form - just like it's possible with a spreadsheet.
No, it only scrolls by holding the scroll bar itself. And like you say, the spreadsheet scrolls just fine.

BTW, this functions the same on my desktop pc as well (you can only scroll the userform with the scroll bar) using win7 / office07 on the desktop pc.
Same with the scroll wheel on the mouse. It will scroll the sheet but not the userform.

Last edited:
OP
T

TedN

I was finally able to talk to a Microsoft support person who was familiar with both Excel userforms and touch screens. He said that since userforms are an add-on to the main Excel package scrolling other than by using the scrollbar has not been provided. He had no idea if it would be provided in a future update.