What's new

Excellent Article : Haswell - What You Need To Know...

J515OP

Super Moderator
RT has its place in time fundamentally there is nothing inherently wrong with RT it is just windows for ARM processors. This is a good bet for diversification by MS and fills an immediate gap. The game changer in all this is Intel. With power requirements and prices on x86 chips making leaps and bounds they are bringing the war to ARM. In the mean time ARM chips are becoming more powerful. This competition can only be good for the consumer.

Maybe at the end of the day the key to RT is that MS will eventually be able to make it fully x86 compatible so that you get the exact same Windows experience regardless of your processor choice :)

darkwolf

Now if Microsoft can just make Windows Phones not suck.
But it doesn't already. :)
That's my humble opinion anyways. I've been using WP7 and now WP8 on a lumia920 and I couldn't be any happier. Sure. the app store isn't exactly packed with apps (when did we start calling programs apps? Am I the only person annoyed by that?) but usually I find what I need.
I've tried using iOS, but it feels out of date with it's almost unchanged interface of a few years and android feels like using an old windows xp pc where I have to do everything manually.
No, I gotta say, I am rather happy with WP8, it's doing exactly what I need and does it even well. I've come to like the tile interface quite a bit.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

My biggest problem with Windows Phones is that on many models, turn by turn voice navigation still doesn't work. I mean, my God, Google Maps has done that for YEARS.

darkwolf

Hmm, Nokia's own software offering on their range of phones seems to work quite well there. Although I've only needed it a few times so far since mostly I'm the "I'll find it without maps" kinda guy.

johninsj

My biggest problem with Windows Phones is that on many models, turn by turn voice navigation still doesn't work. I mean, my God, Google Maps has done that for YEARS.

Nokia Drive doesn't work? Really? I need to tell myself to stop using it I guess.

johninsj

why does anyone need Windows RT? Are more powerful less expensive processors making Windows RT obsolete?
Arm CPUs should still offer two things over Intel. Better battery life, and "not being x86" RT offers the pure New UI experience that will always be "safe" - no unvetted third party apps, no x86 viruses or malware. RT is just a straight recompile of Windows for Arm CPUs. You should be able to drive the pricepoint down $100 below a similar Intel CPU-based device.

All that aside, the Intel stuff is great for those who want a full WinTel experience.

chatterbot

Hmm, it looks like the next Surface Pro will get like 9 hours of battery life with Haswell...thus longer than the current Surface RT....hence, why would I buy a Surface RT except for it being cheaper? The main benefit of the RT was that the battery lasted longer.

The new Mac Book Air gets 10+ hours of battery life in video playback!!!! This is revolutionary!

tonyz3

I am hearing that win 8 SP will see a 50%boost on battery life. ie 4hrs avg time now and add 50% or 2hrs would be an avg of 6hrs. Which i would be happy with but not close to 9hrs with out an additional battery in the dock.