What's new

Excessive battery expenditure on Surface 2

kristalsoldier

Hi all...

Some of you - from my previous posts - may have noted that I have had a relatively good experience with the RT platform, especially, with the Surface 2. I use the device on a regular basis, that is to say, daily and I use it for over 8-9 hours a day.

Utility aside, I have found the battery life to be quite good - on an average - based on my actual usage which involves Office Apps, Mail (not Outlook), web browsing and minimal background apps/ notifications (which are all that I need), I have found myself using about 60-70% of the battery per day.

Recently however, I have noticed that I have not really got the kind of battery usage that I had previously experienced (and had spoken about here). I found that when in Standby mode, the battery was draining much faster (though I can't really give you any numbers as I did not keep the relevant notes) and while working - same profile as always - the battery drawn-down was at least 10% more than what I experienced. So, what happened? Why this sudden degradation of battery performance on the device? What had changed?

Looking around this forum and others, I read reports that a recent update had messed things up though precisely which update was being referred to I never actually found out.

The only other thing that changed was that I had bought and was using the Microsoft Arc Mouse (the USB version and NOT the Surface version which runs on BT). Being lazy, I always kept the USB receiver plugged into the USB port. Made it easier to transport. And, prevented me from losing the damn thing.

On a whim, last night I removed the USB receiver and let the device slip into its Connected Standby mode. I did this when the battery icon on them device was report a 90% charge level. Approximately, 8 hours later, I opened up the device to find the battery level at 86%. I have now been using the device for about an hour - same profile as before - and the battery level is at 82%. At this rate, I am quite sure, I am back to what I was previously experiencing in terms of battery life with the Surface 2 (before I started using the USB-driven mouse).

This leads me to ask: Does the use of USB peripherals actually have such an adverse impact on the battery? Would using the BT mouse also have a similar (negative) impact on the battery?

Thanks

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The Wireless ARC Mouse is a few years old and was designed for Windows 7 and therefore the S3 Power State, so in Connected Standby allowing USB to be active the Dongle continually is polling for the Mouse. Bluetooth 4.0 is more compatible but would impact for Wireless Performance if using 2.4GHz.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

The Wireless ARC Mouse is a few years old and was designed for Windows 7 and therefore the S3 Power State, so in Connected Standby allowing USB to be active the Dongle continually is polling for the Mouse. Bluetooth 4.0 is more compatible but would impact for Wireless Performance if using 2.4GHz.

Thanks. Does that mean that my conjecture about the USB receiver in the Surface was contributing the battery drain? And, what about using the MS Arc Surface Mouse? Is that efficient in terms of battery expenditure?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I think it completely reasonable, The Bluetooth ARC Surface Edition was designed around the Surface Family. I use the Trackpad so I don't have battery issue... :)