What's new

Exchanged my launch day SP3 - Differences in build and materials

I went to the MS store to return my launch day SP3 because of a yellow tint on the left side of the screen. +10 for service at the Beachwood Store in OH. All they did was ask if I purchased it at their store. I told them I bought it online directly from MS. Good-enough for them. A quick check and about 1 minute later I had a new SP3. I also had an uneven trackpad, so they replaced my keyboard too even letting me pick out a new color.

But when I got home 3 things really stuck out:
1) Pen has much more friction. I always was worried if I relaxed my hand I would drop the pen. NOT ANY MORE. It has significantly more friction, and looks a tad darker in comparison to the earlier pen.

2) The glass on the touch screen is DIFFERENT. There was a visible pattern of the conductive material on my original model. I've been able to see this on all touch computers I've had (e.g. Ep121, Samsung Tab7, Sufrace RT, Surface Pro 2) and they each are unique. The one on my first SP3 looked like a square fractal pattern, but was only visible at an angle with a light source in the background and a dark screen.The new model has absolutely no trace of the touch layer. It is the first touch computer that I can not identify the clear conductive material used for touch. But what is most surprising is that MS is continuing to modify the SP3. Cudos.

3) My Start button doesn't vibrate anymore. I like everything else about the computer, and even like that it doesn't have haptic feedback to be honest. I am going to let it go and assume it was just a new design choice. But anyone else with a new production run SP3 not have haptic feedback?

ctitanic

1- interesting
2- don't have that and bought mine on release day
3- may be is a driver issue. Other than that sounds like a defect.

OP
E

ericpelleg

2- don't have that and bought mine on release day

Had to pick up some speakers from BestBuy. Checked all of their display units. All had the original pattern I had seen on my first computer. Unfortunately I can't get a lot number on the display models.

malberttoo

I have heard a number of people say that their Windows button has stopped vibrating, or that a replacement SP3 never vibrated at all, where their original one did. It's not just the OP.

My SP1 even did the same thing, and I authored a thread asking if anyone else's had stopped vibrating. It worked fine until all of a sudden one day, it didn't.

Maximus3D

The fine dot pattern should be barely visible on all Surface Pro 3 displays as it's a important part of the whole touch/pen system. Without that all you have is a very expensive cutting board for your groceries. :)

Mine has it and i have a : 1431

/ Magnus

OP
E

ericpelleg

The fine dot pattern should be barely visible on all Surface Pro 3 displays as it's a important part of the whole touch/pen system. Without that all you have is a very expensive cutting board for your groceries. :)

Mine has it and i have a : 1431

/ Magnus
Hi Maximus 3D

Absolutely, it has to he there. What is interesting is that it has changed from thick lines forming a rectangular pattern to the more familiar, and much less visible dot pattern.

I am noticed less distortion of the glass when I write. Maybe it is a harder/ thicker layer? I'd core a chance to ark the Surface Team on Reddit

Honestly what I like the most is the change in the pen grip. I always felt like was going to drop the pen. Same for the display model at BB. The new one is just perfect!