What's new

Exchanged SP2 because of firmware issues

raiderfan247365

So that December firmware update just crippled my SP2 in the sense that my battery life suffered, and on multiple occasions I pulled the device out of a bag and it was incredibly hot, it would also wake itself up randomly then run very hot until battery was drained. Anyway, I didn't want to risk the long term damage to my SP2 so I had Best Buy swap out my unit as I bought the geek squad plan (my girl made me buy it...) so might as well use it. Went smooth as hell, they gave me a brand new unit and a 1.9 GHz model to boot! I urge anyone with that crap firmware to do the same if they can.

mennogreg

Lies. If there were really a problem with the firmware, don't you think Microsoft would have released a fix by now? As for me, I'm eagerly awaiting my Super Patch Tuesday dictionary update; WHERE THE HELL IS IT?! It's been more than a day since the last one; I don't know if I should return this, as I have no confidence what I type on screen is correct.

Anyway, look around the forums. All these people who are so quick to blame the Surface Pro for getting hot when in a bag; have we ever considered that maybe the bag is to blame? I never had that problem with my Louis Vuitton bag, but it did get quite warm in my Jean Paul Gaultier.

Kidding aside, glad everything worked out!

MickeyLittle

Lies. If there were really a problem with the firmware, don't you think Microsoft would have released a fix by now? As for me, I'm eagerly awaiting my Super Patch Tuesday dictionary update; WHERE THE HELL IS IT?! It's been more than a day since the last one; I don't know if I should return this, as I have no confidence what I type on screen is correct.

Anyway, look around the forums. All these people who are so quick to blame the Surface Pro for getting hot when in a bag; have we ever considered that maybe the bag is to blame? I never had that problem with my Louis Vuitton bag, but it did get quite warm in my Jean Paul Gaultier.

Kidding aside, glad everything worked out!

It's good that we can laugh about this mess! And Raiderfan I'm glad to hear that you were able to get a new and improved unit! Now here's to all our forum friends here that are still stuck with their defective Pro tablets and hoping that Microsoft will do them right soon!

LuckyL

So that December firmware update just crippled my SP2 in the sense that my battery life suffered, and on multiple occasions I pulled the device out of a bag and it was incredibly hot, it would also wake itself up randomly then run very hot until battery was drained. Anyway, I didn't want to risk the long term damage to my SP2 so I had Best Buy swap out my unit as I bought the geek squad plan (my girl made me buy it...) so might as well use it. Went smooth as hell, they gave me a brand new unit and a 1.9 GHz model to boot! I urge anyone with that crap firmware to do the same if they can.

Did the same - the battery life has deteriorated, hanging on resume from sleep and overheating which resulted in the screen creaking. They sent it out today, I do not expect a unit with updated processor but I hope the item will be new or a refurb without marks/scratches...

gman713

If I bought mine at Best Buy, is it better to bring it back to the BB store or MS Store and get a replacement unit there vs. mailing it back to the manufacturer? I already received a commitment by a MS store manager that they will replace it at the store, but they never have them in stock.

Ruffles

If I bought mine at Best Buy, is it better to bring it back to the BB store or MS Store and get a replacement unit there vs. mailing it back to the manufacturer? I already received a commitment by a MS store manager that they will replace it at the store, but they never have them in stock.

If Best Buy has them in stock and your within your return period, go to them. It's quick and you'll have a retail box with matching serial numbers (may help down the road with resale). Otherwise, exchanging thru MS is usually painless.

gman713

I missed the return window, so I'll keep checking with the MS store. I'm getting irritated with the constant creaking of my screen every time I handle it. It feels like there is a built in track pad under the screen.

I missed the return window, so I'll keep checking with the MS store. I'm getting irritated with the constant creaking of my screen every time I handle it. It feels like there is a built in track pad under the screen.

Gman: What do you mean you missed the return window? If you purchased from Microsoft you have a 1 year hardware warranty. You should be able to go to the MSFT store and ask for a replacement. Right??

P.S.. I was also wondering, if you bought it directly from Microsoft, can you exchange it at Best Buy? Maybe Best Buy is one of Microsoft's official retailers or something.

Last edited:

CreativeLemming

I think he's referring to the 1 month no questions asked (as long as it's resellable) give me my money back return window, quite different to the warranty replacement.

OP
R

raiderfan247365

I think he's referring to the 1 month no questions asked (as long as it's resellable) give me my money back return window, quite different to the warranty replacement.

Ya they did a strait up exchange for me as I was 1 day past the "Holliday" return period. But they are not an official MS warranty exchange partner, only if you've purchased Best Buys warranty or are within return period as Lemming pointed out.

Ah - what does this mean for me then? I purchased my SP2 from Microsoft online (preordered, in October) and have been having issues with turning on from sleep, overheating, battery and more for a month now. Am I able to take it to a MSFT store to exchange for a new unit? Or is that not an option for me?