What's new

Experiences with External 2 TB Slim Hard Drive that can self power / work on SP3 USB Port?

Telstar1948

I have an external Seagate USB 3 drive that works great. It's hooked up to my MS Dock. I have a USB WD external that worked with a MacBook, but it won't work with my SP3 through the Dock or through the USB 3 port on my SP3. I was going to hook it up and reformat it, but it doesn't show up in File Explorer under This PC at all, with the Dock or without. It does show up under the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon located on the lower right of the Task Bar, but that's it. Any ideas on that?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have an external Seagate USB 3 drive that works great. It's hooked up to my MS Dock. I have a USB WD external that worked with a MacBook, but it won't work with my SP3 through the Dock or through the USB 3 port on my SP3. I was going to hook it up and reformat it, but it doesn't show up in File Explorer under This PC at all, with the Dock or without. It does show up under the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon located on the lower right of the Task Bar, but that's it. Any ideas on that?

Have you looked at the drives properties and such under disk management?

Telstar1948

Have you looked at the drives properties and such under disk management?

Yeah, it's there in Device Manager, says everything is wonderful, but you can't find it in File Explorer to do anything with it. In Device Manager it said the driver was fine. I clicked Update anyway & it said I had the best driver for it. No idea...

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, it's there in Device Manager, says everything is wonderful, but you can't find it in File Explorer to do anything with it. In Device Manager it said the driver was fine. I clicked Update anyway & it said I had the best driver for it. No idea...

Disk management, not device manager.

Telstar1948

Sorry, but, yes, went into Disk Management as well. There it sat, along with my other drives. Either I'm just not keyed into the ins & outs of Disk Management, or I simply couldn't find a menu action, other than Delete Volume, that wasn't grayed out. If I delete the disk in Disk Management and then disconnect and reconnect the USB external, will that help? Or will deleting screw up something else? Thanks for the help.

bluegrass

Such is life.. things dont always comply how we want them to.. :p .. Devices and standards and realities shift often.

Buy it and try it. If it doesn't work, take it back for a refund. You never know when any manufacturers disk drive is going to go belly up. I know you were hoping that someone had already purchased this drive and is using it so you will be more comfy but I would just do as I suggested above. Chances are it's going to work fine for you.