What's new

Extended Displays and SP3

KevSimon

Hi Everyone

I have just bought the SP3 (i7 512GB) and it is fantastic. It's for work, so I bought the docking station too.

I would like to run 2 external monitors from the the docking station displayport, and in line with this will most likely look to buy a displayport hub (like this one http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=200-DP-1301-L1).

With the above configuration in mind, I wanted to know if it is possible for the SP3 screen to (automatically?) switch off when placed in the docking station, leaving the 2 external monitors on. In other words, similar to docking a "normal" laptop and then closing the laptop so that only the external monitors are in use.

If anyone could let me know if this is possible (and also how to configure) I would really appreciate it.

Thanks so much,
Kevin.

agt499

Hi Kevin.
I have two monitors with native displayport that are daisy-chained, and Windows does try to remember the configurations for docked/undocked settings.
I usually run the SP3 sitting below the monitors, but I have just tested disabling the SP3 display, and it successfully switches between external only and device only, when docked, then back again.
My experience is that everything works well about 4 out of 5 times, so it should mostly do what you want.
I've noted some users reporting inconsistent results with external hubs, so good luck!

OP
K

KevSimon

Thanks so much.

Would you mind giving me the make and model of your monitors? I assume that in order to daisychain you need a displayport for input and another for output?

agt499

Thanks so much.

Would you mind giving me the make and model of your monitors? I assume that in order to daisychain you need a displayport for input and another for output?
I have 2x Dell U2414H, which I got during one of Dells frequent specials. They have a very slim bezel (6mm) which is fully flush, so they work nicely as a pair. They are 1920x1080, but I'd note that a couple of months after purchase I think I noted a near identical, but 1920x1200 model. THey might have something newer still now.

Yes you assume correctlt on the chaining: The model I have has HDMI, full size displayport, and minidisplayport inputs, plus a full size displayport output (and built in USB hub).

From the dock I run one mDP→DP cable to the first monitor, then from its output I run DP→mDP input on the second. (each monitor came with a DP→mDP cable, so no extra purchase). The only trap is that you need to enable Displayport 1.2 protocol in the settings of the monitor, which is disabled out of the box.
It can make for a nice clean workspace, as you don't need another external box, and the mDP cables are skinny and easily routed.