What's new

Extended Warranty: Best Buy or Microsoft?

Operator

Hey all,

I just picked up a 128GB Surface Pro a couple days ago. I have yet to add an extra warranty, hence the topic. What do you guys think is better? I know the one offered by Microsoft is $50 cheaper. I'm not too sure if the warranty from MS covers a drop or spill a certain amount of times. I know with the BB warranty it should be easier to just walk in and change it out if something were to happen.

jeffskent

I bought the extended warranty at the MS Store when I picked up my SP the day it was released. For $99 it offers even accidental drop protection, in that they will replace the damaged unit for any reason, except, of course, if you drill a hole through the device with an electric drill. They will replace the device up to a maximum of two times during the two year warranty period. But, should one be unfortunate enough to drop the device twice, and get it replaced twice, then it would be fine to then buy another $99 two year extended warranty protection policy on what would now be your third Surface in less than two years.

They did not promise to replace the defective device with a brand new one. My experience with refurbished devices from a reputable company, i.e. Apple or Microsoft, leads me to hope that the refurbished device would be exactly as good as the brand new unit. I'm thinking that the Surface is too difficult to open up to attempt to replace a bad chip or a loose connection. Easier, faster, and more efficient to simply replace the entire device, since I suspect most refurbished units were returns in the first two weeks with little use or damage. Best Buy may guarantee that you will get a brand new unit because they wouldn't have such easy access to the refurb channel as MS or Apple.

OP
O

Operator

Oh alright, thanks! I think I might just go with the one MS offers. I skimmed over the terms and conditions for Best Buy's warranty and when it comes to replacement it didn't say anything about a brand new unit. I may have overlooked a detail when reading it, but I've got just under 2 weeks to decide.

malberttoo

I believe there is a $50 deductible to have the Surface replaced under Microsoft's warranty. I definitely bought the MS warranty though, because it does cover accidental damage.

Also, I don't think that MS is refurbishing Surface Pro's. If you have to have yours replaced, I believe it is with a new unit. I'll try to find the link for where I read that.

The MS warranty is the way to go, in my opinion.

-Michael

faisdogg

I purchased the Best Buy plan. Let say there's a 2nd generation surface pro out and I break my surface, best buy plan will replace it with the newer model if older one is not in stock or if they have none, they will give me a full refund on a best buy gift card...

Aikata

I purchased the Best Buy plan. Let say there's a 2nd generation surface pro out and I break my surface, best buy plan will replace it with the newer model if older one is not in stock or if they have none, they will give me a full refund on a best buy gift card...

Not quite. Depending on what their system says, they may replace it with a refurbished one. (Ship yours out and ship the replacement in.) Their system also may say that it is unrepairable and instruct the associate to find a replacement instore that has COMPARABLE tech (2nd gen product is not comparable with 1st) or, if the customer wishes, issue a gift card for the item's *current value*. After the second gen releases, the previous gen price will drop, so you would have to pay for the difference.

You would only receive full value for the product if it was still at the original price at the time of replacement or if it is being replaced under the manufacturer's warranty for a defect.

I work at Geek Squad. :p

J515OP

Super Moderator
Not quite. Depending on what their system says, they may replace it with a refurbished one. (Ship yours out and ship the replacement in.) Their system also may say that it is unrepairable and instruct the associate to find a replacement instore that has COMPARABLE tech (2nd gen product is not comparable with 1st) or, if the customer wishes, issue a gift card for the item's *current value*. After the second gen releases, the previous gen price will drop, so you would have to pay for the difference.

You would only receive full value for the product if it was still at the original price at the time of replacement or if it is being replaced under the manufacturer's warranty for a defect.

I work at Geek Squad. :p

There's always a catch ;)

Russ

Warranty Guy --

What an interesting day for you to make this post:

1 - re: "Assume your Surface stops working after two months" -- Well, almost. It was actually three days short of two months.

2 - re: " MS carefully scrutinizes the device looking for any scratches and if scratches are found on the device then your warranty is VOIDED." -- Uh, no; not hardly. You might want to read this post: Unwitting Owner of a New Surface Pro

I was sorta wondering just what you were peddling, but then I came to this:

3 - re: "This is certainly not the policy with Apple and the iPad." -- Of course not! The iPad is protected by the ghost of Steve Jobs.

Don't give up, Warranty Guy -- your timing just wasn't good today.

Be well,
Russ

Last edited:

ArnoldC

I have transcript of a chat session with Microsoft Surface Support that will give *hope* to 'warranty guy'

I'm just waiting for one of the mods to do the split into a new thread and I will post the entire discussion.

mtalinm

id' buy from msft ... they care a lot more about your happiness for their new product ahn does BB for one of 5mm skus