What's new

Extending displays

Dave Whybrow

I know this has come up a number of times but is daisy chaining using displayport in/out the ONLY way to extend to more than one monitor?

I have the surface pro 3 with 2 HP EliteDisplay E201 monitors (displayport in only) but I have purchased a 3 port multi monitor mini dsiplayport to displayport hub from startech.com. There are no new drivers for the hub so I can only assume it doesn't work.

I can't understand why there are not alternatives?

Nuspieds

There are alternatives. You can, for example, use USB.

Before I bought the SP2, since the SP1 didn't support DP 1.2, it was not possible to daisy-chain; thus, the way I was able to extend my display to my two external monitors was to connect one via DP and the other via USB. It worked great and there were no latency issues.

malberttoo

I know this has come up a number of times but is daisy chaining using displayport in/out the ONLY way to extend to more than one monitor?

I have the surface pro 3 with 2 HP EliteDisplay E201 monitors (displayport in only) but I have purchased a 3 port multi monitor mini dsiplayport to displayport hub from startech.com. There are no new drivers for the hub so I can only assume it doesn't work.

Daisy-chaining DP isn't the only way to have multiple monitors, but it is the only way to get the highest supported resolutions.

Nuspieds

Daisy-chaining DP isn't the only way to have multiple monitors, but it is the only way to get the highest supported resolutions.
Moreover, all alternatives are definitely not created equal--so beware, especially with marketing claims.

It took me a couple of failed solutions before I found one that met my requirements: 1920 x 1080 for all monitors, running in Extended mode.