What's new

External Display? 1440p or 4k? 24" or 27" ? What would you suggest?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
What happens with individual monitor scaling in Win 10 when you move windows from one screen to the other? It must still have to re-scale the windows on the fly, no? And if it does that, programs must still appear fuzzy at times right?

Choosing your own scaling is really only half the battle - I mean yes it is great to be able to do so, but unless they've made other underlying changes you are still going to have many of the other issues we have in 8.1.

I haven't had the time or inclination to install Win 10 yet, so those of you who have, can you chime in as to how exactly this works?
The Windows scales and re-scales as expected, but programs written with GDI based graphics will still look fuzzy....

B

B'midbar

What happens with individual monitor scaling in Win 10 when you move windows from one screen to the other? It must still have to re-scale the windows on the fly, no? And if it does that, programs must still appear fuzzy at times right?

Choosing your own scaling is really only half the battle - I mean yes it is great to be able to do so, but unless they've made other underlying changes you are still going to have many of the other issues we have in 8.1.

I haven't had the time or inclination to install Win 10 yet, so those of you who have, can you chime in as to how exactly this works?

Yes, it does have to re-scale on the fly. Yes, some programs still appear fuzzy at times. Logging in and out of Windows when docking, undocking still needs to be done, but what would be really handy is if you could right-click on a tile or shortcut and say "open in monitor 'n'' would be awesome as an enhancement to avoid the latter. That being said, I'm pretty scrupulous about what I open up on which, running Outlook on my SP3 when docked and everything else snapped left and right on the big ultra-wide. That gets me pretty close. A lot closer than Win 8.1

double07

Can SFP3 and ext monitor 27 1440p dpi scale be set independently? I want SFP3 to be set at def 150% while external monitor at 100%.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Can SFP3 and ext monitor 27 1440p dpi scale be set independently? I want SFP3 to be set at def 150% while external monitor at 100%.
Windows 10 is able to do this but not Windows 8.x, but it would be close under to what you are wanting to do under Windows 8.1