What's new

External DVD Rom drive was not being found.

ToneDeath

I had to load some DVD based software into the SP3 and my Dell USB external *drive was being not recognized by the SP3. I kept hearing a bee-boop chirp as if the drive was found, but that was all. The disc would load into the drive, but would not auto start. It could not be found in Device Manager. My Dell external drive came with a Y cable so I powered one end of the Y cable with power from the SP3 home charger USB port, connected the other half of the Y cable to the SP3. *The SP3 found the drive, software is all installed. The SP1 must have had a little more power at the USB as I remember only having to use the single cable and it worked fine.

TD

tuchas

I had to load some DVD based software into the SP3 and my Dell USB external *drive was being not recognized by the SP3. I kept hearing a bee-boop chirp as if the drive was found, but that was all. The disc would load into the drive, but would not auto start. It could not be found in Device Manager. My Dell external drive came with a Y cable so I powered one end of the Y cable with power from the SP3 home charger USB port, connected the other half of the Y cable to the SP3. *The SP3 found the drive, software is all installed. The SP1 must have had a little more power at the USB as I remember only having to use the single cable and it worked fine.

TD

Same issue here. I have a powered USB hub and had to plug both USB cables into it in order to use the DVD drive. Disappointing to say the least.