What's new

External microphone for Surface Go

Der_Alte_Fritz

My aim is to record a lecturer using my Surface Go. I have tried using this using the in-built microphone which is mounted on the front but it picks up the noise of typing and background noise behind me better than the lecturer in front of me.

Can anyone recommend an external microphone and which port to plug it into.

OP
D

Der_Alte_Fritz

Combination does not work and I do not know why, whether it is the splitter or the microphone. Perhaps the later as when plugged into a laptop it does not do well.

Any suggestions?

OP
D

Der_Alte_Fritz

Have found a small microphone that produces the same sort of sound quality as the internal microphone and is small and light enough to use in a lecture. Andrea RG 110 as recommended by the Dyslexia Society.
Has an adapter and so can be plugged directly into the 3.5mm Audio Jack socket and will be recognised as a microphone by the Surface Go. Sound quality for lectures is about the same as the internal microphone and you would have to pay a lot more for a unidirectional shotgun microphone to get better quality. Will see if I can find one of these for under £100.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The unidirectional or directional microphone sounds like the right type for your application. Point it towards the lecturer. This should reduce background noise by itself much better than an omnidirectional microphone. Any type of directional/unidirectional mic would seem to be better than omnidirectional.

I have no similar place to test something like this but I'm interested in finding the direction from which sounds are coming. I have only one ear that works so finding where sound comes from is a major challenge for me. There are some very complex experimental AI programs for this but it seems a directional mic would simplify the process and would be fairly practical to use for locating recurring sounds. Might give one of these a go and see what I can do.