What's new

External Monitor Goes Black/Flickers

MB721

I have a Dell 2715Ultrsharp attached via DPmini to my SP3 and have gotten a horrible black screen since updating to W10. W8 was bad - it would flicker on/off but it was usable. Now it works for about 5 minutes then goes solid black. If I unplug and plug back in a few hours later it'll work for 5 minutes again, then total black.

MS support says it is a known issue and sent me generic trouble shooting, none of which worked. I am out of warranty now and they want to charge $99 to talk, which I am fine with, but if it needs replacing they want to charge $450, which is ridiculous (it's not even worth that).

Any suggestions? It seems to be a driver issue that no one has solved in several years of problems.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the community....

One thing I would check is to make sure the Dell is using DP 1.2 (IIRC it supports it, but is shipped using DP 1.1.). And again, going from memory, Dell enabled their own Power Management Firmware into that line of monitors, try disabling it....

Also, you can use the Generic Intel Video Driver which gives you access to the Intel Control Panel that allows for fine tuning.

OP
M

MB721

Thanks for the reply (I am traveling, sorry for the late reply).

DP 1.2 is enabled, I was not able to find the power management feature for the monitor you mentioned.

MS has acknowledged the problem (thousands have it) and escalated the issue. I fear, however, like all the other MS issues (Outlook 2013-2016 is a joke), that nothing will be done.

A shame as I was considering purchasing SP4's and Surface Books for my business.

Is there anything else that it might be besides Microsoft's drivers/software?

Thanks