What's new

External monitor hook up

abc

If I buy a 23 inch monitor with 16:9 ratio screen 1920 by 1080 resolution and hook it up with a miniDP to DVI cable, will that be acceptable for basic work?

This monitor is for sale locally for $50, but no hdmi connection. Acer. Looks good as new.
Thoughts??

Last edited:

zhenya

Yes, it will work fine. You might use an adapter connected to a regular DVI cable. The all-in-one cables might be more problematic for this conversion.

OP
A

abc

Not clear on exactly what mdp to dvi set up you mean.Can you be more specific?

Thanks for your response.
Bill

zhenya

Most of the mDP to DVI connectors are a short cable, less than 1' that connects to an existing standard DVI connector. There are a few cables out there that are Displayport on one end and DVI on the other of a 6' or so cable. Those may not work as reliably and I've specifically had trouble with them on the SP3.

OP
A

abc

Just so I'm really clear.....

Are you saying to get a dvi to dvi cable, and get the short mdp to dvi to connect the dvi to dvi cable to the short one, and connect the short one to the SP3mdp on the SP3

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just so I'm really clear.....

Are you saying to get a dvi to dvi cable, and get the short mdp to dvi to connect the dvi to dvi cable to the short one, and connect the short one to the SP3mdp on the SP3

My surface and monitor would not actually work with a dvi-dvi cable and an adaptor box, it is most likely the adaptor box, but i have had to resort to a dvi-hdmi cable and plugging the hdmi into the adaptor box.